orvieto

Jun 10th, 2001, 07:51 AM
jack

orvieto

planning an overnight trip to Orvieto from Rome early next year. Heard that La Badia is the place to stay there. Does anybody know anything about it? can't find website or prices or much else. would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions
thank you JC

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Ed

La Badia is an excellent choice.
It's on the hilltop across the valley from Orvieto, within, almost literally, a stone's throw of the city. A four-star hotel today It was built in the 8th Century as a Benedictine monastery. A great view of the city and excellent food (often featuring wild game roasted in the fireplace in the dining room.) We've not stayed but did view the rooms after lunch; spartan, but comfortable. Receives excellent comments from others including those who have stayed multiple times. Doubles (1999 prices) from ITL 254,000, singles from ITL 180,000.
Phone: 39 0763301959 - Fax: 39 0763305455
See
http://home.iprimus.com.au/peter_grigg/labadia.html

Jun 10th, 2001, 05:01 PM
marj

when are you going, I'm not 100% sure on this but i think they are closed jan-mar because i contacted them for an overnight in march. they are listed in a book called 'small and charming hotels in italy' with phone & fax info. we stayed in town (in orvieto) instead, at palazzo piccolomini which was very nice. did you do a search in google.com on 'La Badia orvieto', it should come up somewhere. I think i faxed them for info. I also checked some other similar places i saw in the book i mentioned near assisi and they also were closed in march.

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Graziella

Hi jack , if you are not going there in Summer, stay in town. La Badia, is a four stars expensive place, you will end up having dinner there at the food is so , so. If I were you I would stay in town, at The Aquila Bianca Hotel also a 4 stars, but paying much less , and having the choice to walk around town and have dinner in any of the fine restaurants in town, such us the I sette Consoli, or
Il Giglio d'Oro a great restaurant across the Duomo. What can be better? With the money you will save in the hotel you will pay part of your dinner ...I believe that the Badia is an example of how travel books and newspapers built up some times the reputation of a place. It is fine, but not that great, what happens is that the hotel or restaurant keeps on rising its prices and does not worry that much of keeping up the quality of service. Why not?, we all tell each other that it is great because we do not know any better and because we saw its name in print.
Am I right? I make sometimes the same mistake, t because I saw a restaurant recommend in
a couple of books including the Michelin red book, we had dinner at
Da Bruno in Pisa (last May) and it was not only the worst possible food but twice as expensive as any other place of same quality in Pisa or in most of Italy.
I would love to know other people opinion on this.

Jun 12th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Paulo

According to the Michelin site, the La Badia is closed January and February and tghe suites sell for Lit 300,000 in low season + Lit 40,000/breakfast for 2. On the other hand, Graziella's Aquila Bianca should cost Lit 150,000/double plus Lit 30,000/breakfast for 2.

Can't comment on the hotels but also higly recommend the Giglio d'Oro. Even though I can't comment on the La Badia restaurant, I'd must agree with Graziella. I, for one (who have always placed food over lodging , would certainly prefer to spend the approx. Lit 150,000 difference splurging in the Giglio D'Oro (closed Wednesdays).

Paulo

Jun 12th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Diane

We stayed at Aquila Bianca a couple of weeks ago for 180,000 lira double including parking but no breakfast...we had to pick up my sister at FCO at 9:30AM that morning. The room was lovely, beautiful view, the public rooms of the hotel are extremely nice. They recommended Giglio d'Oro for dinner and (I've reported on another thread "Top Meals in Italy")it was one of the 3 best meals we had in 3 weeks. We ordered an "expensive" bottle of wine so I think our tab was 165,000. Get the chef's suggested menu. Just outstanding.

Jun 12th, 2001, 05:17 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jack two other ristorantes which we felt were very
good and close to the Duomo is the
Etrusca, via Maitani, 10 Ch Monday. and the Maurizio, via Duomo, 78 Ch Tue.
Was very satisified with food and service.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Carol

I second the Etrusca. We ate there in Sept. a few years ago and it was a wonderful experience. It was mushroom season and there was a table just inside the door with a wooden bowl displaying an incredible selection of mushrooms (colors I had never seen.) There was a large table of people in the back of the room and the maitre'd or waiter took the mushroom bowl back to the table and they discussed them and oohed and ahhed. The food was excellent. Enjoy!