Getting from Prague airport to hotel

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:25 AM
sharon

Getting from Prague airport to hotel

I have read that the taxi fare from the Prague airport into old town is pretty expensive. The guide books say there is a bus that takes you in but it sounds like I may have to then take the metro. Can anyone comment on what they paid for a taxi and if anyone chose the economy route of a bus. I will be traveling alone but plan on just one suitcase. Thanks.

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Marc David Miller

I arranged from my hotel a car for about 500 kc, which was too much, but convenient. You can probably get it for about 400 kc from a reputable cab company like AAA.

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:06 AM
mimi

We also arranged with the hotel to take us back to the airport for you can not trust the taxi drivers to treat you fairly. The hotel charged us about $16. which was well worth it. We did learn that the taxi that has a checkerboard pattern around it is the one that is metered. We were able to find a shuttle service in Budapest for only six dollars a person. Did you check to see if Prague has one?

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Joie

A tip we learned in our preparations for our trip to Prague and used to advantage. Taxis at the Prague Airport are part of a well organized "family" authorized by the City. Non-member taxis cannot access the line up to pick up fairs. The tip: When you arrive, get you bag, clear customs and go to the arrival end of the airport instead of the departure where the taxis line up. Wait for a taxi delivering people TO the airport. Check the cab, driver and passengers out as the travelers get out of the cab, get their baggage, pay the driver, etc. If all looks good approach the driver and ask if he is going back into Prague and wants a fare. He/she will jump at the chance. Ask the price (remember he/she would be going back empty). Using this technique, we got a cab for $8, a driver that had lived in New York for three years and spoke fair English, a running commentary on what we were seeing/passing and the absolute enjoyment that we had beat the system. We have used this technique in other Countries with similar situations, e.g., Peru. It works.

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Art

There is a shuttle service at the airport that takes directly door to door and costs approx $6.00. I used it both ways and it was fine.
Regards
Art

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:32 AM
sharon

Thanks so much to all, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Christina

They aren't expensive at all in comparison to most major cities, I don't know who would say that. 500 CK is not too much, it's a very reasonable rate for taxi transportaiton from an airport to city center (not sure how far it is, probably at least 10-15 miles); that's only about US$12 . I think people should not be cheap when dealing with people in poor countries who are trying to make a living honestly; it is ungracious, unkind and, well, cheap. The CR is a rather poor country, if you feel happy about getting your cab ride for $1 less when you can afford to take European vacations, I can't imagine why. I took a standard cab which was very clean, modern and efficient and did not engage in all the games of trying to bargain, trying to get cabs in odd places, etc; I just treat people with respect but behave in a business-like and knowledgeable manner. So, I got a cab in the normal taxi stand from the departure door and paid about US$15. The driver even spoke excellent English, which surprised me. I did take a hotel car service going back which was very convenient and trustworthy, and that was 500-550 koruna, so that must be the going flat rate. I might add the cab I took at the airport was in the lines outside a little to the right side and was a special airport taxi service according to the name on the car, not just a regular cab (but it was metered like a taxi, not a flat rate); there were also larger shuttle vans waiting even farther to the right, I forget their rate, but you'd have to wait for them to fill up.