Search

ordinance maps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordinance maps

are there ordinance map book readily available for purchase in ireland, as there are in britian....??? we find them absolutely the best to use when travelling... does anyone know of a discount outlet for them near shannon airport?? thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:39 AM

Well, there is an Ordnance Survey Ireland - here is their website http://www.osi.ie/<BR><BR>but I can't help with where to buy, except that road maps are generally available at gas stations and many other places.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM

I bought the Ordinance Survey Map for my trip in 2000. It worked ok - was a bit clumsy, and could be hard to find names of towns.<BR><BR>I recently purchased the Collins Road Atlas of Ireland for our trip this April - Already I have found it more useful than the Ordinance one.Easy to read, town names are clearly marked, etc. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Hello...We always use the Ordnance Survey Holiday Map. I order from the website named by Ruth. The maps are in sections, North, South, East, West. I have also ordered the more detailed Discovery Series, but they are very cumbersome. The Holiday Maps give the same basic info, though maybe not quite so detailed. Hope this helps...Helen
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:04 AM

I use Ordnance maps when I'm hiking, but not driving. Just use a regular road map book that I picked up in a bookstore. The Ordnance maps are so detailed that they're difficult to use if you're hitting a large area.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Both series of Ordnance Survey maps, Holiday and Discovery, are widely available in Ireland, though outside of main towns they normally stock only those relevant to the locality. Best place to get them are tourist offices, both the official Bord Faite and local independent. You should be able to get them from the office at Shannon airport. It's quite difficult to get discount on maps. One useful spiral-bound atlas I use is The Complete Road Atlas Ireland at a scale of 210000 to 1 and widely available at around 11 euro, newly revised in 2002. It covers both North and South.