Options in Southern France for 2-3 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2020, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are scheduled for a 7 nights Bordeaux river cruise beginning September 20, 2020. We are traveling from the US and will arrive in Bordeaux late morning of the 17th. I am looking for suggestions for places to go for 2-3 nights prior to boarding the ship.
The cruise itinerary includes stops in Bordeaux, Blaye, Cussac Fort Medoc, Pauillac-al-Fayette, Cadillac, Libourne, and return to Bordeaux.
Budget is not much of a restriction. We enjoy the outdoors, history, good food and wine (of course). We are in our late 50s.
I have considered a coastal location or perhaps head south towards the mountains...I think, given our limited time, that we will want to stay within 2.5-3hrs of Bordeaux - but I could be convinced otherwise if someone has a great suggestion. We are not opposed to renting a car and driving ourselves but would probably prefer the train.

Many thanks
Old May 1st, 2020, 11:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I sure wouldn't make any plans yet -- it is more than likely that one or more of the following will be cancelled: 1) the cruise - very likely IMO; 2) your flights - semi-likely. But schedule changes/flight consolidations VERY likely; 3) access to the wineries and sites along the cruise route likely or at least severely limited.
Old May 1st, 2020, 11:55 AM

You could go south to the Basque country, taking the train to Biarritz or Saint-Jean de Luz. For visiting the interior or taking the cog railway to the top of the mountain, a car may be necessary:

https://flic.kr/p/a73YJP
Or you could rent a car and explore the coast and interior of the Charentes:

https://flic.kr/p/7mMezJ https://flic.kr/p/7mMkJ3 https://flic.kr/p/7mMhfU
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I should have included that the cruise was originally scheduled for June 2020. It has been rebooked for the September date. It is a smaller river boat.
I understand that COVID-19 may still change cause us to change our plans but in the meantime, I will try to pull some plans together.
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:08 PM

I hope you're kidding. I live not far from Bordeaux and go there often and I seriously doubt if anything even vaguely resembling a tour of wine country is going to be operating in September, when it's likely that the second wave of Coronavirus will be hitting France.

Your tour hits all the major tourist venues around Bordeaux except the seaside ones in Arcachon and Cap Ferret and Pyla, so IF you actually make it to Bordeaux you MIGHT be able to get to the seaside. I can't understand why any tour company would include Libourne on an itinerary. It's a dull, ugly industrial outpost of Bordeaux. The other stops are standard sip and spit stops. To get to the seaside you'd need to take trains and/or buses, which are not running right now. Or you'd rent a car, but everything is closed, including gas stations and restaurants and cafés and stores.

There are NO trains running right now and I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be running in September.

I have no idea what you mean by "head south to the mountains." What mountains? The Pyrenées? Are you kidding? Where would you go? What would you do? Everything is nailed down shut. Nobody wants tourists or can accommodate them.

Frankly, you're dreaming. Cut your losses and get your money back now.
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:09 PM

But Michael, there aren't any trains now, at least none from anywhere near here to points south.
Old May 1st, 2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq
But Michael, there aren't any trains now, at least none from anywhere near here to points south.
I'm aware that there is a total shutdown in France at the moment. But this is May and who knows what conditions will be like in 4 or 5 months. I am giving suggestions based on normal conditions.
Old May 1st, 2020, 02:57 PM

jmsvss, planning now will pay off whenever you take the trip, whether it's September or later. I can't be any help about the specific area you're interested in, but here are some websites I check when we're considering a new-to-us area of France.

France's most beautiful villages (there's an English-language option if you need it):

https://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/fr/

Maps that pinpoint the location of historic sites, mostly buildings, that are of national significance in history, architecture or art. If you have an interest in Roman bridges or roads, manor houses, chateaux, old mills, lots of churches, and the unexpected, you can find them here:

https://monumentum.fr/

viamichelin.com offers a shortened version of what you'd find in a green Michelin guide for the area. Pick "tourist sites" and then enter the name of the town. Zoom in for a close look, or out to see a wider area, at what Michelin considers visit-worthy. It might be easier to order one of the green guides but this website gives you a quick look.

France always impresses us with its public floral displays, even in small towns. We'll drive out of our way to see a four-flower town or village. September is a better time for this than spring because the plantings are fuller:

Site officiel du Label Villes et Villages Fleuris

If you want to know where the nearest street market is on any day, you can look it up on www.marchedefrance.org. Markets in some places have already started up even before the end of this confinement.

We always enjoy coming across a tree that’s older than the USA. Here’s where to find the old ones and the giants.

Trees http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/

I like planning and this year that’s all I can do. Our spring trip was canceled and we don’t know if travel will be possible in the fall, but I’m still keeping an eye on things and adding to my long list of places to visit in France.

I hope you enjoy the planning phase. Please come back with questions as they occur to you.

Old May 1st, 2020, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Michael and Coquelicot - Thank you for your thoughtful input. I completely understand the worldwide COVID situation but I am not willing to throw in the towel yet. Your advice is very helpful. This is a trip we will take - definitely not in June, maybe not in September, but sometime soon. Therefore I would like to be prepared. Plus I just enjoy planning trips and sharing with fellow travelers. Cheers and happy trails!

Old May 1st, 2020, 07:24 PM

I agree that planning is a pleasant way to pass the time. We are not expecting to be able to travel to France any time soon, definitely not this year for us. This time next year would be lovely, but I am not even terribly optimistic about that at this stage. Right now, here in Australia, we would be happy to travel within our state which has closed its borders to interstate travellers, and only allows very limited travel for residents. But in the mean time, we continue to explore and expand on our plans for another trip to France. Coming from Australia which has so far avoided the dreadful death toll of other countries, we are very reluctant to expose ourselves .

I would consider hiring a car and just staying in the general region. We enjoyed the Lot et Garonne with its interesting bastides, and of course you could go across to the Dordogne, but you really need more time than what you have. We also enjoyed the Lot which is getting a bit further away., as is the Gers. There are any number of interesting places in the area that could fill the limited time you have. How much time does the tour actually spend in Bordeaux?? That could be the simplest option.
Happy planning.
Old May 1st, 2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jmsvss
Michael and Coquelicot - Thank you for your thoughtful input. I completely understand the worldwide COVID situation but I am not willing to throw in the towel yet. Your advice is very helpful. This is a trip we will take - definitely not in June, maybe not in September, but sometime soon. Therefore I would like to be prepared. Plus I just enjoy planning trips and sharing with fellow travelers. Cheers and happy trails!
In September, we'll probably be either in a second peak or it's coming. Global air travel is a vector for infection. Why help spread it? Besides you're coming from a hotspot, and may not be readily admitted to Europe.
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:02 PM

At this point I believe we can only dream/think about trips we’d like to take, sadly I don’t see any of this happening in 2020. Maybe a year from now...?

Visiting the Bordeaux area has long been on our agenda, perhaps in 2022. In the meantime, I do enjoy reading about what planning. 😉
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We in France don't even know our own options yet. It is rather unlikely that international travel will be allowed before the end of the year, so the French have been searching frantically for hotels, campgrounds and other places to stay in the south of France. Most of them are not yet accepting reservations.
Old May 1st, 2020, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Corona not withstanding, I'd go up to La Rochelle, by bike or train. Then work my way south along the coast.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:02 AM

Who knows, the end of September might be about the only open window seems to me, but I kind of doubt if the cruise will go, either. The next wave is predicted to coincide with flu season, from all I've heard/read, which doesn't peak until Jan-Feb and generally starts in November. Last year, France was in an official epidemic flu state only since the beginning of February and the flu season didn't start until November. They just extended state of emergency to what, July 24th? Seem to like exact dates coinciding with the begin date (which was March 24th, I think), it wouldn't surprise me if it were extended to Sept 24th (6 months). Peak rates are about 6-8 weeks after starting from experience with Italy and China. So a peak in September would mean a start in July.

If they do extend it based on the 24th date, your trip could be just out of luck if they extend some measures to Sept 24th. That is if they do allow non-EU people in to the country even then, even if they have loosened up a lot of internal restrictions.

What I'd do would be different if this didn't exist. Because Toulouse is projected as one of the red areas along with Paris and NE from the maps I've seen, I imagine due to the population count (meaning more cases there). YOu can easily take the train from Bordeaux to Toulouse. Plenty to see/do based there and it's only about a 1 hr train ride. This would fulfill history, food (wine can be drunk anywhere, I never understand that criterion), but not mountains. Just seems a lot easier to me.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina.

It has been interesting to watch the various countrys' reactions to the pandemic. I, for one, am not looking to be a vector. I am just playing the game until our trip is officially canceled.
Old May 7th, 2020, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

This was released today: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22J2A2
How are the French residents feeling about the situation?
Old May 7th, 2020, 11:03 AM

How are we feeling about this?

I suspect you're trying to find out what the French think about opening the country to tourism again because you want to come here. Well, if that's your angle, be aware that the last thing on a Frenchman's mind right now is how to deal with the tourists who aren't even allowed here now.

Bilbo, if you cycle up to La Rochelle, make a stop in St-Cirq. We'll dine you well.

Last edited by Moderator1; May 7th, 2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: removed political comments
Old May 7th, 2020, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
How are we feeling about this?

I suspect you're trying to find out what the French think about opening the country to tourism again because you want to come here. Well, if that's your angle, be aware that the last thing on a Frenchman's mind right now is how to deal with the tourists who aren't even allowed here now.

Bilbo, if you cycle up to La Rochelle, make a stop in St-Cirq. We'll dine you well.
Your suspicions are incorrect. I was really hoping to connect with people from around the world during a very difficult time. I enjoy the opportunity to hear from people that want to share their experience and expand our collective understanding.

Of course I hope to return to France along with many other locations around the world. I am a passionate, and maybe even an addicted traveler. I also try to be a respectful voyager and would never want to inadvertently harm anyone or represent my country in a negative way.

Hence my question regarding how French residents feel about the situation. I live in a beautiful mountainous, rural area. We have had very few confirmed cases. But I work in health care so I have a very clear understanding of the situation and how quickly it can change. It is helpful to know how others perceive the crisis.

I’m not sure why this thread took such an ugly turn. Perhaps it is a language/communication barrier. My intent was to understand the environment of an area that I hope to visit one day.

cheers and good health to all!
Old May 9th, 2020, 05:18 AM

Even though I haven’t been in this region in a long time, I’d like to get this discussion going again, so with some trepidation I'm offering Hossegor and La Rochelle as possible stops along the coast. Each of them is 2 hours from Bordeaux, though in opposite directions. Sarlat, Perigueux, Brantome, Bergerac are within the driving range the OP specified.

Driving in France is a pleasure, especially if you enjoy the back roads. You can see smaller places that aren't on train lines and the scenery is often wonderful. You're not tied to a train schedule.

Last edited by Moderator1; May 9th, 2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: deleted reference to a deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -