Search

Opinions please on these 2 Siena accommodations

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions please on these 2 Siena accommodations

Hi All,

We're headed to the Palio in July 2012 and after some preliminary research we're considering staying 3 nights at either the Palazzo Ravizza or Campo Regio Relais.   Both properties are priced comparatively and require a 3 night stay---which is fine.   We won't be spending a ton of time in the room but, we'd like to have decent A/C because we know Siena will be VERY hot.     In terms of location, is one option better than another?      

Thanks much in advance!

Squeaky781
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Iluvparis- I vote for the Palazzo Ravizza. Fabulous views from room facing the country side - similar to the background of a Renaissance painting. We loved this hotel which has been recommended again and again on this board. Also provides parking.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM

I am going to second the Palazzo Ravissa, as described above - we loved our stay there, fabulous views, and parking.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM

We just returned from our trip and spent 3 nights at Palazzo Ravizza. I liked it for these reasons:
* inside the City Walls and a short walk to il Campo. (slight incline, no hills)
* Comfortable beds
* Pleasant countryside views
* Best-ever bakery on the corner (Bini)
* You can open the windows in the rooms (don't know about AC)
Sorry this is biased, as I know nothing of the other lodging you mention.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow, the voting is unanimous so I guess that should make my decision easy. I just read so many great reviews on TA about Campo Regio Relais so I was very tempted. Several reviews about Palazzo Ravizza mentioned the word "shabby" and it didn't sound in a good way. I do love the idea of the garden views overlooking the countryside. Elnap29, for mentioning the comfortable beds too---that's VERY important and I neglected to mention it my original post!! Also, we will have a car so the free parking will be good for us.

Both properties say that have A/C. We learned early on that lots of hotels say they have AC but, it doesn't actually blow cool/cold air. A lot units were probably installed back in 1960 and haven't been serviced since so that's why I asked. We've been to Tuscany several times in the summer so we know how hot it gets.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM

I should qualify about the beds. Our first two nights were in the least expensive "loft room," which might be termed "shabby" by some. But it was quiet, had a great view, and a very very comfortable bed. The 3rd night was in a standard room which had lovely decor, a much nicer bathroom (with a window with the same fabulous view), but was a much smaller room. Here the bed was a lot firmer, not to my liking; but DH did not notice a difference. Re-read those TA posts and just book which one calls to you the most. We loved Siena and found it very welcoming and friendly. During the Palio it might be crazy and noisy. I'd pick the hotel with the quietest environment, just because I like to get away from crowds and noise at night.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at Palazzo Ravizza 2 years ago. As a single person, I thought 250 euros was a bit expensive for a room with a double bed (the loft rooms were not available). And, I thought it was 'shabby decor' for that cost. However, the bathroom was new and very clean. The views of the countryside were outstanding. And, the sunsets were unbelievably gorgeous.

The breakfast was nothing to write home about.

But, I did like having the parking.
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM

I have also stayed at Palazzo Ravizza in a loft room. The A/C worked well! I was happy with my stay there and would return.

I don't know Camp Regio Relais but it certainly sounds nice. I hope someone will be able to chime in here who knows this hotel.

Have a great time in Siena and at the Palio!