Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Opinions on these 2 VRBO apartments in Paris?

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're still looking at apartments for Paris, and so far, we like #23959 and #9528. Does anybody have opinions on these two. To find them, go to vrbo.com and type in the apartment number. Each would be E100 per night, and each is available for our dates.

They both seem to be nice. We'd probably be going in October, so we don't need A/C. We don't mind walking up a few flights of stairs without an elevator. We'd like to be within walking distance of restaurants, shops, etc. There will be two of us on this trip, and we don't care if the apartment is big. I prefer new and modern to "charming and antique." This will be our first trip to Paris.

So, Paris experts, what do you think? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:24 AM

I think they both look fine, also, and are in good locations. The second one is twice as big as the first, of course, so you'd have to weigh that.

Personally, even though it is smaller, I prefer 23959 a bit because I like that location better myself, and I like the shower rather than tub. But if the location is equal for you, the other one could be better. It does have an elevator, which might be nice. I would want to know exactly where it is located, though, as ave de la Bourdonnais is very long. If it were witin a block of Ecole Militaire, fine, but if it's all the way towards the other end, I would not want that location as I don't think it's convenient to public transportation.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I actually have both of those apartments earmarked for future trips, although the first one I would only consider staying there by myself, it is pretty small. The one thing that I don't like about this apartment is that the 4 chairs don't look too comfy, so you will be sitting on the bed a lot

What I like about the second one is that there is a table with chairs AND a sofa to sit on, as well as a nice kitchen in another room. 450 sq mt is quite large for a studio, IMO.

I like the location of both of them equally, they are pretty close to one another and they both seem quiet, good price on both too, hard decision.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
cw

Agree with Susanna. I had looked at the Rue de Grenelle one but ruled it out because there are no comfortable places to sit and relax.

Ask exactly where the other one is, to see if it's too far out. Otherwise, it has good space and a separate kitchen.

CW
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM

An acquainatance of mine stayed in the larger apartment (9528) some years ago and found it comfortable. It's a newer building and the only drawback I recall her mentioning is that there was little room in the bathroom for her toiletries.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM

How did that extra "a" get in acquaintance? Fingers flying too fast, sorry.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. I was hoping for comments like these to help us decide. I will ask the owner of the second apartment exactly where it is located. Thanks again!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Here is the link to the map they sent me for apartment #9528. It looks to be in the middle of ave de la Bourdonnais; is this correct?

http://maps.yahoo.com/#lon=2.301636&...6753&mag=3

Thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Do you have the exact address? The closer it is to metro stop Ecole Mil the better it is. The other one is two minutes from metro stop Rue du Bac. Both metro stops will be easy to reach from just about anywhere in the city. #9528 is in the 7th arrondismont and although #23959 is also in the 7th, it is just a block off of the 6th arrondisment, which is the neighborhood you will feel like you are in.(scroll over on the map to find rud du bac metro) Do you have a preference of neighborhoods? Really, they are pretty close to each other, although those two metro lines do not cross, they really are only one stop away. I'd go for the more comfortable one if it were me even though I love the 6th.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Hi. We considered the same apts that you considered. We were concerned with the size and the flexibility of the owners on the second one you mentioned. We rented vrbo # 94017, which is a bit more than the studios but is worth every dollar. We were there last May and are renting the same apt in May 2008.
The owners are lovely. The husband was living in Paris at the time and scouted out many of the restaurants that we were interested in and provided feedback. He made many of our dining reservations for us. We were allowed total flexibilty with our check in and out times.
The apt was lovely. It was right on Rue St Dominique near Fontaine de Mars. It was a secure building with an elevator. It was a very large 1 br with a BIG bathroom with plenty of storage. The bed was comfy and linens of high quality. I was sick for 2 days so was able to sleep in the br while DH was able to stay in the living room. We never cooked but used the refrigerator for storage of wine, cheeses, salamis etc.
The husband and son even came by a few times for wine and cheese.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM

That link doesn't work and they need to give you the address for lots of reasons. First, if you have the address, you can look the building up on pagesjaunes.com and see what it looks like. I won't deal with an agency or person who refuses to give me the address of a place, although one has (don't know why, most have no problem, and one place even told me to look it up on pagesjaunes even though I already knew about it)
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
cw

I got the link to work by cutting and pasting in two passes. The apartment is between Rue de Grenelle and St. Dominique. Not too far from the Ecole Militaire metro stop.

I'd go for the larger apartment. It's a good location, especially if you like to walk.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hi Samsaf, my daughter and I stayed in #9528 in Feb. 2006 and loved it. we were there for 2 weeks and found it VERY convenient to the metro stop. unless you have physical problem the walk down the street and over a block is nothing.

I did a trip report about our trip and on it are comments from one or two other fodorites who also stayed in the same aprtment and one who visited it as well. you can click on my name and find my report. check for the 2006 date as I wrote another report for a trip back to Paris in 2007.

I loved the apartment and we had a great time. It is a great place for the price, I loved all the windows.

lynda