Search

Opinions on Lodgings in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Lodgings in Greece

Hi all,
Sorry for the re-post but i spelled lodgings as loggings - my mistake. Anyway here is my message:

Just booked our flight to greece for early Oct. now gotta do our hotels. I'd appreciate any opinons about the following hotels (we're from USA). Not to picky, we only want the basics such as private bathroom, a/c, and in Athens definetely a good view of the acropolis.
Our choices are as follows:

Crete:
1. Royal Belvedere Hotel
2. Imperial Belvedere Hotel
3. Lato Hotel
4. Hotel Bella Vista

Mykonos:
1. San Antonio Summerland Hotel
2. Myconian Kohili and Kalypso
3. Palladium Hotel

Peloponnese - Mycanne
1. King Othon I Hotel
2. Nafplia Palace
3. Ilion Hotel

Peloponnese - Olympia
1. Europa Best Western
2. Pelops Hotel
3. Kronio Hotel

Delphi
1. Hotel Parnassos
2. Hotel Acropole Delphi

Kalambaka
1. Hotel Rex
2. Hotel Famissi

and of course Athens
1. Plaka booked so sister hotel Achilleas
2. Philippos Hotel
3. Cecil Hotel

thanks.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Will be interested in hearing responses to your query about Nafplio and Kalambaka since those are on our itinerary for next May.

Know nothing about the other hotels on Crete, including where they are, but we did stay at the Lato this May. It was okay, basic and pretty small, but decent. Good breakfast, the best of the trip. Convenient to the harbor, restaurants, and a short walk to the archeology museum (where you will need to go in the morning because they close about 2PM except June - Aug.). It is "downtown" Iraklio, though, which a lot of people don't much like; but we found it fine for two nights (got in from Santorini about 8PM) since it was convenient to Knossos and we wanted to see the museum there as well. Hania, where we spent the next two nights, was definitely more charming, though.

In Athens we stayed near the Cecil at the Attalos. I can recommend the Attalos (and you shouldn't have a problem getting a view at that time of year if you check in early enough in the day). I think it's about a block closer to the Plaka than the Cecil, but both are pretty close (Attalos about 2 blocks), and I assume at least the front rooms at the Cecil would have an Acropolis view as well. I preferred the location, I think, to being right in the Plaka because it was quieter. Mostly banks and plumbing stores in the roughly 2 blocks from there to Monastiriki Sq., so there wasn't much going on after 6PM. But well lit and I felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel at 11PM to midnight. Don't recall the locations of the other Athens hotels and don't recall seeing them, so maybe someone else can help you out with those and tell you about the rooms at the Cecil.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:43 AM

Hi

Here is my re-post. We stayed at the Cecil Hotel in Athens. This is a beautiful neo classical building with a roof terrace. The terrace though does not have seating but does have nice views eg. The Acropolis at night. We had a double room with bathroom which was spacious and clean. The rooms on the main street (mine didn't have an Acropolis view) are a little noisy so try to get a room off the street. The staff are pleasant and helpful. The location is excellent - short walk to Plaka, tourist sites and Monastariki metro. Unless it's changed since 2002 I would recommend it.

As an alternative a few doors down is the Attalos Hotel. This gets plenty of good reviews.

Enjoy Greece - it's awesome!

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM

We stayed at Hotel Ilion Studios this May.
We did get into the lobby of the main Hotel which is about 100 meters away. The hotel is a Neoclassical building that used to be the Mayors house.It has recently been redecorated. We didn't see a room however if it is decorated like the studios it will be beautiful. There were however no balconies. The rooms likely had an ocean view. In the studios which are higher up in the town, room 14 has two balconies one with ocean view and one with a fortress view, two comfortable armchairs (which we have never seen in Greece before) and a kitchenette. The beds are good with silken sconce like canapies and a paining of a naked nymph or two. In May the price was 50 Euros which was substantially below rack rate.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:00 PM

I can reply to 2 of your choices:

1. Lato in Heraklion

Wonderful choice for our needs. We wanted to stay in the city (our travel agent was aghast--"why would you want to stay in the city?&quot. The room was one of our most "modern", which was a nice break and contrast to several of the more "charming" lodgings that we had. The room was clean with a marble bathroom. My husband also felt that the breakfast at the Lato was the best of the 7 places that we stayed in on our 3 week trip. We drove to Knossos and it was easy to find. We walked to the Archeological museum with no difficulty either. To the contrast of our travel agent, we loved our two nights in Heraklion. The market is amazing. There is a section of pedestrian only streets filled with shops, cafes and marvelous restaurants. (we also spent 2 nights in Chania which was also lovely).

2. Achilleas in Athens

We also highly enjoyed the Achilleas. It is on a side street in a quieter area but well within walking distance of everything that we wanted to see. Room was clean with a modern bathroom. We had two separate visits at the beginning and end of trip and neither room had an Acropolis view. To be honest, I'm not sure that any rooms would, but maybe there were higher floors? If this is a must for you, I'd confirm with them. Breakfast was lovely. I always recommend this hotel, I really enjoyed both of our stays there.

Hope that helps, please advise if you are looking for more specific information.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:28 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Parnassos in Delphi in June and loved it. It was on the main road in Delphi, but very quiet. The rooms were spotless and looked as if they had been redone recently. The rooms on the top floor have high beamed ceilings.