Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

opinions and recommendations sought , places in italy.Please do not flame me, until you read post.I have done my research, and now I want human input. PLEASE!

Search

opinions and recommendations sought , places in italy.Please do not flame me, until you read post.I have done my research, and now I want human input. PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:50 PM
nancy

Well, <BR>Even though we just got back from our (almost) 3 weeks in Italy. <BR> I realize that I am planning a big one, for my 50th (spring 2003) <BR>BUT, <BR>I have the compulsion to plan another trip. <BR> <BR>What will make this trip so special, is that it will be my first solo abroad trip. <BR>and it will be taking place about 14 months after my husband surprised me with his new, does not include the wife, lifeplan. <BR>so, I think that not only will I need a trip, but I will deserve a trip! <BR> <BR>He will take the children for 7-10 days. <BR>and I will get to go exploring!! <BR> <BR>I do not want to return to rome this year (am doing that in 2003) <BR> <BR>Where I go will depend on whether I get the full 7-10days alone in Italy, or go off to meet a friend in Switzerland, for half the time. <BR> <BR>I am thinking of Venice, Bologna or Parma. <BR>I want to wander, sit and watch, do some site-seeing, do some shopping, but mainly just float wherever I wish <BR>(something that is impossible to do with one's children in tow!) <BR> <BR>Any thoughts on these areas or others? <BR>thanks so much. <BR>I am saving my pennies already! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:01 PM
Diane

I'd suggest Venice, Verona, and Lake Como. You'd fly into Venice, train to Verona, train to Lake Como then train/car/bus to Milano for flight home. You could probably do Venice and Verona and head to Switzerland if that was what worked out. Minimum of 2 nights in Venice, but you might prefer 3, 2 nights in Verona, then whatever the final course takes. I don't remember if you hit Florence on your recent trip, but that is another possibility. Florence, Verona, Venice would be easily doable.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:08 PM
mulino

Well Venice will be crowded, Bologna is great for food, Parma - don't know too well but if you were thinking of Tuscany in your thoughts you might find a number of the ideas on my site - www.mulinodellopera.com- worth considering - there's lots of photos and links (things to do, places to stay, etc) that you'll find fun and I hope useful in your planning.................I've also put up a number of ideas for both day excursions and longer...................Enjoy

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:12 PM
sandi

I would agree w/ Diane, especially Lake Como. I didn't get there the 2 times to Italy and the photos are stunning. It looks like the place to do a lot of deep breathing and thinking. I'd also consider renting a room in a villa that's easily accessible to a larger city for people-watching.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:23 PM
Linda

Nancy, I see you've got the travel bug too! Didn't take long, did it. It's nice to know we'll see you name on this forum more quickly. <BR> <BR>I, too, would recommend Venice and Lake Como. Both are excellent for just wandering and sitting with a glass of wine, watching the world go by. Como gets you nearer Switzerland if that ends up figuring in your plans. <BR> <BR>Have a blast with the planning. <BR> <BR>Linda

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:24 PM
Linda

P.S. Isn't it terrible that you felt you had to ask people not to flame you?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:26 PM
Nancy II

Having been in your position, I would recommend a busy area for this trip. <BR>My first trip I got in the mulligrubs <BR>when all I saw in a secluded resort were couples. Now I travel alone happily, but after a time. I held up fine until I would see couples looking at me with pity that got to me. <BR>I say keep busy and active on this trip.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:42 PM
Surlok

Nancy II, <BR> <BR>How come? People looking at you with pity? How do you know it was pity, unless you were sad, or looking unhappy? <BR> <BR>Is the Prince a frog, or is the frog a Prince? Or there' s a frog lying deeply inside the Prince that just some get to see, or there's a Prince lying inside the frog that just a few see? <BR> <BR>How would these people feel sorry for you, how would they know your story, unless you showed your sorrow somehow? Or were you just projecting your self pity on them? Think of it.. <BR> <BR>Nancy one, <BR> <BR>I understand that travel planning is a nice way to overcome what I imagine you're going through, whereas traveling itself is another thing. I've learned, through my own experience, that no one should travel, thinking that by being abroad, or just being away from home, this in itself will help them to overcome their problems_ it doesn't work out like this. <BR> <BR>OTOH, if you feel that you're already gaining some strength and self confidence, traveling is a wonderful way of getting reassured that life is good, regardless the people you're with, or who aren't there. <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:47 PM
Nancy II

Yes, Surlock that is my point, I wasn't on my feet yet, and I was projecting self pity, and that is no way to travel. <BR>I didn't know I felt that way until I went to Europe to "get away" and it was too soon. <BR>Now of course, I am a different person. <BR>I agree with you.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:48 PM
Andi

Nancy, <BR>Since I've been single (4 years now) I have enjoyed the delights of group travel. I'm not talking about big bus trips, but rather small (6-18) groups in small vans. Mine have been hiking trips, but you could do biking, cooking, whatever interests you. I've been to New Mexico, Provence and Morocco, and am headed for Tuscany in October. I've met wonderful people, enjoyed wondrous sights, eaten fabulous food and thoroughly enjoyed myself. You do relinquish some independence, but it's well worth it for the companionship and fun (on my trips, I can't remember when I've laughed so much). If this appeals at all, ask me for some recommended travel companies.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:53 PM
OhNo

So we're going to have to listen to Nancy's self pity about the estranged husband for the next two years? Will it ever end...

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:00 PM
Nancy II

I tend to agree with Ohno, the fact that you keep mentioning your exhusband at all means that you are not ready for a trip alone, yet. There are many people who are divorced, widowed on this site, who never mention the fact, think about it. Try the group the above poster mentioned.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:08 PM
MaryAnn

I am leaving for Sicily on Thursday and just heard that Unisys has posted a travel advisory. Anyone heard anything?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:29 PM
cmt

MaryAnn, I assume you're talking about the Etna area. The Catania airport has been closed on and off because of the dangerous volcanic activity or because of the smoke. It would probably be best not to count on flying into Catania,

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:05 AM
nancy

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. <BR>I really would love to hear more about Bologna /Parma though. <BR>As far as projecting self -pity, far from it. <BR> <BR>Taking this trip solo will be the best thing for me. <BR>I enjoy alone time ! Haven't gotten nearly enough of it the past 17 yr <BR> <BR>And OHNO, are you little xxx in disguise? <BR> <BR>Nancy, <BR>this all came down just 4 months ago, after 17 yrs together,( and only a few months prior to a very long planned, and greatly anticipated family trip. <BR>Which we all 4 went on anyway) <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:27 AM
Anon

Nancy, I am only 38 and a widow. It is really difficult being alone at first, but, this will pass. I relish the memories of what we had together and look forward to my independent travel. You need to develop new interests, meet new people and move on. <BR>I miss my spouse very much. It is very painful for me to even go to the airport as we had shared so many wonderful travel experience. My throat will still close when I see places we visited together. I am just so grateful that we traveled so much. <BR>For the sake of your children, remember the good times you have had, forgive your husband, and never talk poorly about him to your children. Children see themselves as two halves, one half like Mom and one half like Dad. When one parent denigrates the other in front of a child, the child feels lessened. If you say Dad is bad, the child feels that a part of him is bad as well. <BR>Good luck, Nancy. Don't be afraid to seek out support groups. They can be a wonderful thing.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:34 AM
DJ

Nancy, <BR> <BR>I am so sorry to hear of your situation. My heart aches for the turmoil you must be going through. It is one thing for strangers to be so hurtful to one another (i.e. on this board), but especially so from those whom we've shared a life with. Again, I'm so sorry. This may sound like a cliche, but think of going one day at a time - it is a true statement (as anyone knows who has faced a calamity in their life).

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:19 AM
novice

Can someone tell me what "Don't Flame me" means?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:37 AM
Escritora

Nancy--some ideas from a divorced woman and frequent (and happy) solo traveler. <BR> <BR>*Consider splurging on a spa day (or half day) the first day of your vacation. A great way to recover from the flight and relax instantly, plus you'll look gorgeous and feel like a new woman as you set out to conquer Venice. *Many cities have "gourmet clubs" that dine out regularly at restaurants. If you can track them down, they could offer you company on a night or two for dinner (the toughest time to be solo) and possibly some social contacts. *Since you plan repeated trips to Italy, an early-morning hour-long language class might be fun, practical, and another way to make new friends. Same goes with the single-session cooking classes sometimes offered by restaurants (for the one I'm considering in Oaxaca, Mexico, you start at the market selecting the food and end with a plate of your creation). *Or locate a club that does day trip biking excursions. ***Strike up conversation with EVERYONE. A woman I met at a bus stop proved a delightful guide on an all-day tour of Djurgarden in Stockholm, has become a friend, and now is my "hotelier" for return trips. <BR> <BR>Above all, remember this: only back home are you a divorced mom. On holiday, you are an independent woman in a country where women just begin to be interesting after age 35--and therefore you are the subject of no small amount of intrigue. So buy a pair of "who is that woman" sunglasses and milk it for all it's worth. You'll have a blast!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:02 AM
Dona

Nancy - <BR> <BR>Welcome back! <BR> <BR>When I think of traveling in Italy alone (which I do a lot), I keep thinking that Florence would be my choice for most of it. Although Venice is my favorite Italian city, I don't think I'd like to spend 10 days there - especially alone. But Florence is a lovely, homey city - and getting out of it to visit the country is easy - with or without a car. For me, there's plenty to do - or not do - as you choose. <BR> <BR>As for the Lakes, I'd go back to Stresa on Lago Maggiore. It's a lovely little town but surprisingly active. It's a beautiful location and the Lake is wonderful. (Although Como wouldn't be bad!) <BR> <BR>;-)) <BR> <BR>I look forward to helping you plan... <BR> <BR>Dona

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -