Opera Tickets Haven't Arrived Yet...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased tickets in July for La Boheme at Opera Bastille for 15 October. I received an email confirmation right away, but the email said that if I don't receive the tickets by mail 3 days prior to the show that I should contact the box office by email.

What happens if by some chance they mail the tickets, say, on 10 October, they arrive in my mailbox on 12 October (3 days prior to the show), which is also the day that I'll be leaving for Paris so won't be able to pick up my mail that day.

Will I be able to get in with my email confirmation?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:24 AM

I ordered ballet tickets from the Garnier Opera in early August and had them (in Australia) about 3-4weeks later (at most). So I think you should have them by now. I do not believe you would be allowed in with only your confirmatory email unless you contact them first. Previously if I know I'll be leaving before opera tickets arrive, I've opted for them to be held at the box office. You have to get there an hour before the performance though and find the special "guichet" for held tickets so allow plenty of time to muddle through.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM

I don't think they will give you extra tickets, as you could easily have sold one pair and then tried to get another.

I have bought from them online and never tried to get them mailed abroad, which I think is a bad idea. All you have to do is pick them up onsite, it only takes a minute or so. It is not remotely difficult and there have never been lines for the pickup desk when I was there.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Supersal and Christina for sharing your experiences.

I'm going to email them now and question them about it, even though they asked that I not contact them until 3 days prior to the event.

Will let you know what they say.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I think you should call them. I think that they'd have mailed you the tickets when you ordered them, and the fact that you've not received them yet probably means they were lost.

I don't know what the procedure is like in Paris, but in NYC, for subscribers, they'll issue a pass (usually a slip of paper) that's as good as the physical ticket.

I thought that I had a lost my ticket for a performance that's taking place in a couple of weeks. Though I wasn't a subscriber for this event, I was told that I would be issued a pass (I bought the ticket on the phone with my cc, so they had a record).

I'd imagine that there must be a similar procedure for Paris.

I just checked the calendar online -- so I take it you must be going to "La Boheme."

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

111op: Your're right...we'll be going to La Boheme (which is why I was looking at budget hotels earlier...the tickets were not inexpensive and neither were our flights.) Are you from New York? I think it will be at the Met this season, too.

Here's the reponse I received from them....so it appears that I will be able to pick up a copy of the tickets about 45 minutes before the event..though they didn't really address what happened to the originals.

Madame, Monsieur

Vous pourrez récupérer des duplicata de vos billets, à votre nom, au guichet n°2 de l'Opéra Bastille à partir de 45 minutes avant le début du spectacle,

Nous vous remercions de l'intérêt que vous portez à l'Opéra National de Paris,

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM

glad you got that resolved...

contrary to christina's scenario, i find it unlikely four people would fit into two seats so re-issuing duplicates seems logical to me.

i've ordered several times from the opera national and always received my tickets by mail within three weeks. yours were obviously lost.

now remembering to actually bring the tickets with one is an entirely different matter but i suppose could be resolved the same way.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Subcon -- the scenario you mention reminds me of an episode of I Love Lucy (yes I am able to enjoy equally a night at the opera and reruns of I Love Lucy) where Ethel and Lucy were fighting over a seat and disturbing everyone around them...I will fight for my seat to the death!

Seriously though I suppose it's conceivable that my lost tickets ended up in the hands of a nefarious individual who tried to sell them on Ebay or something...

Hopefully we'll arrive at the box office with ID's before the thugs who stole my tickets arrive!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM

Hi Terri, yes I live in NYC.

"La Boheme" is such a chestnut that it's probably at the Met every season. However, I've never seen it live.

I'm glad that you've duplicates, and enjoy the opera!