Opera Seat Guru for Paris Garnier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a web site guru for seating in the Garnier Opera Paris? The tiny one on the Opera site is not very helpful. Perhaps something like the theaters in NYC which show their seating clearly.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM
yk

All I can tell you is not to get seats that are NOT on the first row in the boxes. For those seats, you're basically sitting behind someone else and the view is very limited.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Check here:

http://www.francebillet.com/
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

To: yk. You are right, I've had seat 1 and 2 which put us in front but a pain because of the people in back who really couldn't be comfortable. Even having seat 1 and 2, if you are not there first you almost have to fight for the seat. Thankfully it is on ticket. I will avoid the problem by trying to get seats elsewhere even at higher cost. Thank you for the reminder.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM

There is no website that actually shows detailed seating charts for the Garnier, with seat and row numbers. It is too bad, I don't know why they don't put one up, they have one on-site when you buy tickets at the box office.

I've had seat 3 in a box and thought it was okay as you are raised a little above the folks in front, as I recall. Seats 5 and 6 are terrible in those boxes, though.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM

If I remember correctly (it has been several years), the seats at Garnier were not numbered the same way they are in US theaters, eg rows A through GG and seats numbered beginning with 1 in each row. Instead they seemed to be numbered consecutively without row identification, so seats 192 and 193 could be directly behind 179 and 180. And orchestra seats were tiny, both side-to-side and wrt knee space. I ordered online and took my chances within the orchestra.
Still a wonderful experience.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have sat in three different areas.

The seats in the balcony were very uncomfortable. Narrow, steeply pitched, more like a perch than a real seat. Good view of the stage, however.

The seats in the first row of the first loge on the side were comfortable enough, but the view of the stage was partially blocked when the people next to me leaned forward, and they were always leaning forward because the people next to them were leaning forward, creating a domino effect. The people in the second row ended up standing, so I would not take those seats.

Seats in the orchestra were comfortable and fine.

When you book tickets on line they show you the exact location of your seat.

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Nikki, how do they show you the exact location of your seats online, and it sounds like you are saying you know it only after you've paid for it?

I know they tell you the seat number, but I don't remember them ever showing me the exact location of my seats I've bought on there, but I haven't done it for a couple years. I know I've had tickets before and had no idea where I'd really be until I got there (except somewhere in the orchestra, etc.). Maybe they have some new feature.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM

This was discussed before so you might find the following thread helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35095234
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Christina, when I bought tickets this past time, for a performance in March, I remember getting a view of the seats before I purchased them. I don't remember whether I got the same view the last time I bought tickets, which was a few years ago.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM

okay, thanks, it must be something new that I'll find out the next time I use it, whenever that is -- that link didn't really have anyone who described the function or how well it worked, just someone speculating they had one. I thought they just had general views of areas (such as balcony, etc) rather than a view from a specific seat you were purchasing, but could well be wrong on that. Leave it to the French to only have a more elaborate function and omit an obvious one as just having a seating chart online with row and seat numbers on it.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Now I'm doubting my memory. I went to the Paris opera website and tried to recreate my ticket purchase to see exactly what I saw. I remember seeing the exact location of my seat, but I couldn't find it this time. There is a preview function that shows you a view from the seat (or maybe from the section, it's hard to tell), but I did not see the view I thought I remembered of the rows and the seats selected. Somehow I knew exactly where the seat was when I went there, though. Oh well.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Which website are you using, Nikki? Or anyone to purchase tickets. Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM

www.operadeparis.fr
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM

Anybody know how many rows deep the Amphitheatre is? Would seat 121 be near the front or back of the section?

This is so frustrating. Maybe when I go, I'll try to take notes and draw up a more detailed chart for future use.

Oh well, I think I'll just take a chance on that seat-- if it's to far up for seeing the stage, I'll still enjoy seeing the Chagall.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM

If I remember right, my seat in a box at Garnier was only 7 euros. It was a tremendous bargain (I was really more interested in the venue than the performance). And I think that I did have a partial view, so I probably had the first row.

It really depends on what your objective is. These days more and more I buy the cheapest seats in the house, which I find completely adequate. This is especially true when I go overseas because I'm frequently more interested in the venue than in the actual performance or program.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM

We sat in the second from the front section, considered the best and called by them "Balcon". It certainly wasn't balcony, but rather floor level.

Our row was "O" and the location was great. This section was in the middle, not one of the wings.

The seats were plush velvet and very comfortable.

Our seats were located in the middle of the row, dead centre as far as I can remember - numbers 187 and 188.

I was concerned about tipping the "usher" who showed us to our seats as we were told it was expected. She removed any decision by quickly turning and leaving after showing us our seats. Flutes of champagne at intermission is a real splurge.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM

Hi Fifi, what are you going to see?

Sorry I can't help with your question about the seat... the seating system is still a mystery to me.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM

Hi Apres Londee,

I got tickets for Raymonda and the l'Ecole student demonstrations. (Unfortunately, I'll miss the Hommage à Béjart by just two days!) Ages ago, I had marked on a calendar to buy tickets online at 2am on Sept 22, but when the time came, I spaced out and forgot that that meant the night of Sept 21; by the time I realised that I was a day late, many sections were already sold out. Today, a few more seats became available, but not very good ones-- only side loges and amphitheatre.

When I ran across your wonderful Paris trip report back in May, I immediately emailed to check for availability on that apartment and put down a deposit for Thanksgiving week, even though I was supposed to be getting ready for a London trip at the time. Never thought it'd be possible to find an affordable apartment for a solo trip-- thank you so much!
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Robjame, I was mystified about the rules for tipping the usher until I wrote my trip report and kerouac explained to me that you are expected to tip at private theaters but that tipping is forbidden at state theaters in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -