Opera in Prague, Vienna or Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to these cities in May 2005 with 2 other couples and we would like to see an opera.

We are fairly new to opera having seen 8 or so in NY Met in past few years. My favorites are by Mozart & Verdi.

Does one opera house stand out over the others for history or architeccture? We
have not seen these operas:

Cosi fan Tutti, La Boheme & Lucia di Lammermoor (Prague State Opera)

Il Travatore (Budapest Opera Erkel Theater)

Tales of Hoffman & Madame Butterfly (Vienna Opera House

Many thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Not knowing more about this, my immediate reaction would be Vienna.

As far as I know, the orchestra is excellent, and many of its members play for the opera. I'm sure that the quality of the performances will be top-notch.

Trivia -- one of the architects of the Staatsoper committed suicide because the King disapproved (I used this in the crossword game as a clue).

Have fun.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

More history on the Staatsoper:

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Wiener-Staatsoper.htm
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I have not been to the Opera House in Prague but we did go in Vienna and Budapest. I thought Budapest was much more beautiful than Vienna. Most of the Vienna opera house was destroyed in the war and was rebuilt in a newer style that was not as attractive in my opinion. The Budapest opera is much less expensive than Vienna as well. We were told that people travel from Vienna to the Budapest opera as the tickets are so much cheaper.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM

We went to operas in all three cities in '02 although in a different opera house in Prague. They were all interesting and well performed, but Vienna is probably the experience you are looking for. A little more formal and upscale than the others. They also had titles on the back of the seat in front of you, similar to the Met

At the time we were not able to buy tickets on the internet for Vienna, but it was very easy to phone them for tickets. They spoke very good English and as I remember the tickets were sent to my house.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I'd cast my vote for Mozart in Prague.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Vienna is more expensive, more formal, bigger and generally has a higher quality of performance.

You can now buy tickets for Prague and Vienna on the internet, for Prague you can have them sent to your house whereas with Vienna you collect them from the ticket office when you arrive.
I don't know about internet booking for Budapest.

I'd choose Cosi fan Tutte in Prague personally (the less consistent casting is usually compensated for by the spirit of the productions, IMHO, and the top seats are much cheaper).
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM

this is same thread you started before. you have some more responses on the other one. click on your name and you will see it.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm almost ready to go with Cosi fan tutti in Prague, as I love Mozart, although this work was not one of his favorites. He had some of his first opera performances at the Prague Estates Opera House.

Vienna's opera house looks beautiful yet I think a Mozart or Verdi opera would be more "user friendly" for our friends.

Orchestra tickets are 185 Euros, while Prague is about 100 Euros and if my conversion is correct, about $35 in Budapest.

thanks again.....
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Have been to Vienna and Budapest Opera.

Vienna - the quality was superb, tickets expensive (150E) but an amzing experience becuase it was one of my favourite operas.

Budapest - we went to the state opera house - but you mention the Erkel theatre - this is not the same thing. The former is an opera house in all its glory the latter is a square box of a buidling- did not go inside but it looked like a typical theatre built in the 60s and designed by some one school in Comunist architecture. If there is something on at the Budapest opera house i would highly recommend that
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, nothing at the Budapest National Opera House until 17 May, after our visit. So maybe, I should focus on Vienna or Prague.

Any thoughts on any of the specific operas?(Cosi fan Tutti, La Boheme, Lucia di Lammermoor at Prague OR
Tales of Hoffmann & Madame Butterfy at Vienna).
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Isabelle,
Of course that is a matter of personal taste, but my favorite in your latest list is La Boheme. I havn't seen the Prague State Opera, but would LOVE hearing this opera anytime - even with my eyes closed.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Isabelle,

Here's a link to one of the better deals for European opera in a historic site (copy and paste):

http://www.snd.sk/index.php?SID=606e...frameset.opera

Click on "Calendar" and "May" and you'll see Aida on May 2. Intimate seating (700), historic venue, location (next to the Danube, American Embassy and Carlton Hotel) and ticket prices (25 Euro) make it irresistable.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM

My choices would be in this order:

Cosi Fan Tutti
Lucia
La Boheme
Tales of Hoffman
Butterfly

I am biased towards Mozart, and haven't seen Cosi for quite a while. Lucia is a wonderful piece of bel canto opera, and I might put it first if the lead is especially good. La Boheme is my favourite Puccini opera, and I don't mind seeing it again and again. I just saw Hoffman last week for the first time, and it's quite an enjoyable opera, but Offenbach is no Mozart. Butterfly is not one of my favourites, but that's a matter of taste.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone.....Mozart's Cosi fan Tutte in Prague it is!