Search

Open Jaw

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Jaw

Is there ever an inexpensive way to fly into one country, but out of another? I would like to fly into London, take the train to Paris, and then head to some cities in Italy and leave from Italy. Is this unreasonable?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:48 PM

In my experience I have found that open jaw tickets are the same, if not cheaper, than round trip in and out of the same city. To be honest, I have not done it in and out of different countries, but I would definitely look into going the route that you are seeking and check all available fares. No, it is not unreasonable, IMO.

I'm sure other Fodorites will weigh in and give you some great advice. I honestly don't think that varying countries in the same region will make much difference in price either, though.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM

krowden,
Yes there's some very inexpensive ways to do your itinerary. I'm assuming you are flying transatlantic in and out of London. What you should do with that is purchase your roundtrip transatlantic flight then use Ryan Air, Easy Jet, or other low cost UK carriers for that one Italy-UK leg...they give deeply discounted one way fares. Notes: Most don't fly out of Heathrow, for example Ryan Air is mostly out of Standstead. Do not book flights that aren't ticketed together back to back....if you are late arriving for one and miss the other that connecting flight you're hosed, whereas if its ticketed altogether there is responsibility by the airline(s) even if more than one is involved. Long story short, if you are going to book flights on separate tickets, do so with enough time in between...preferrably overnight, consider that part of your vacation! have fun.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 12:03 AM

Have you done any research? Try Orbitz,Travelocity, Expedia, etc. They all have open-jaw options in their search engines.Select multi-city airfares.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:42 AM
ira

Hi krowden,

You should be able to get tickets into London and out of Rome or Venice for about the same price as RT to Rome and Venice.

To get from Paris to Italy, check www.whichbudget.com
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Sometimes it helps to reverse the open jaw. So try home-London-Italy-home and compare to home-Italy-London-home.

Here is another site to check...beta.itasoftware.com. Go to the "multi-segment" page.

-Sharon