Open for suggestions

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Stephanie

Open for suggestions

My husband and I are planning a 6 day trip to Germany (our first) in early November. At this point all we've done is book our flight into Munich. We will be renting a car there and traveling south.
We are planning to spend at least one night in Oberammergau based on the recommendations of a co-worker (is there a specific place there you'd recommend?) And after reading lots of messages here I've decided to spend our last night in Munich and stay at Tobreau.
Any suggestions for the rest of our time in Germany? We prefer staying off the tourist- beaten path and are more interested in soaking up the local culture.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:44 PM
notsure

I'm not saying don't go but Oberammergau is the beaten path, the frescos are great though. I found that the places "worth" seeing south of and including Munich were on the beaten path but don't let that stop you..November won't be bad at all crowd-wise. You could try Wuerzburg (2hrs north), Nurnberg (again, north) but stop by the Linderhof while you're at Oberammergau. Mittenwald is a snore, skip it. Go to the top at the Zugspitze touristy -yes but the view is lovely! I love the Bavarian Alps, it is peaceful and beautiful but I can't think of any place that I would recommend as a must see. If you just want to soak up the culture just drive til you see something you like!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:51 PM
notsure

I forgot, you could EASILY spend 3 or 4 days in Munich itself (to include a trip out to Dachau) so don't sell that wonderful city too short in your travels! Don't pick up your car too early if you are starting your travel in the city, public transport is the only way to go and definitely go with the City Card...well worth it!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Topper

Agree with notsure about Munich. 5 nights there last month was not nearly enough.

Topper

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Rita

We just got back from our 2nd visit to Germany. While we didn't have time to re-visit Oberammergau this trip, we LOVED it last time. Take time to go to Rothenburg (truly a medieval town, even if it is getting touristy). We also loved castle Neuschwanstein. We stayed at Hotel Mueller in Hohenschwangau (at the base of both castles). It was lovely! The Black Forest is neat too. While we didn't have a chance to visit Berchesgarten (spelling?), we did visit Salzburg Austria(on the border) during our earlier trip - it is gorgeous! I highly recommend it. Have a wonderful trip! Wish I could go back more often than every 13 years!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:04 PM
wes fowler

Stephanie,
First, if you'll be driving, let me recommend the Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas for Germany, Benelux, Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic (ISBN 2-06-100020-7). It's an excellent atlas, extensively detailed. The maps for Germany are at a scale of 1cm=3km, for Austria 1cm=4km.
The Bavarian area southwest of Munich is known both as the Allgau and more familiarly as "Pfaffenwinkel" which roughly translates as "Priests Corner" due to the number of magnificent Baroque monasteries and parish churches.

If you'd like to see what type of scenery you'll encounter, take a look at:

www.romanticroad.com/pfafsigh.htm

If you go to the following website, scroll down to the first hotel shown, the Landgasthof u. Cafe Schonach-Hof. I recommend it highly. You'll find favorable comments from two visitors to whom I recommended it (one group with children) in the itineraries I can forward to you if interested.

www.romanticroad.com/pfafroom.htm

Take a look at the following, as well. Scroll down to "Panoramabild", click and then scroll about the photo.

www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/sneuschwanstein.html

Go also to: www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/view.html You see these wherever you travel in Upper Bavaria. They dominate the southern horizon. You'll also drive across or through them if you choose to visit Austria.

Before dwelling on itineraries, let's talk a little about Bavarian accommodations. Almost every Bavarian village has one or more gasthausen. These are small inns, usually with 20 to 30 rooms at most and almost always family owned and operated. Any I've stayed in have been immaculately clean with good-sized rooms and private bath and an in house restaurant invariably featuring excellent regional cuisine at moderate prices. A number also have beer gardens, as well. All will include breakfast in their room costs. Breakfasts usually consist of cereals, yogurt, meats, cheeses, eggs, breads, fruit and coffee. Rates for these inns range between $55.00US and $70.00 per room, approximately 56 to 70 Euro. Since many of them cater to German skiers in winter months, you'll find rooms that can accommodate three or four people. Many also have kitchenettes as well. The little inn in Hohenfurch to which I refer in the Bavarian itineraries has such rooms. (Ask for the Pfaffenwinkel room.) The room had a refrigerator, two burner stove, sink, table and chairs and was indeed spacious

To get an idea of the amenities of a typical gasthaus, check the following websites:

www.steingaden.de/gasthof_ilgen.htm

www.steingaden.de/gasthof_lindenhof.htm

If you'd like three or four detailed driving itineraries, feel free to Email me directly. I'll forward them to ou promptly and be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.