Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Opel Vectra rental parking/driving problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone rented one of these and did you have problems with parking?

We will be driving it from Frankfurt to Munich, down to Neuschwanstein, Heidelberg and to Mainz before dropping it off at the Frankfurt airport.

We are fortunate to be borrowing a GPS system from a German co-worker! I hope it helps.

My husband didn't want to go much larger than a VW Golf but we wanted a real trunk for security reasons and we will have a lot of luggage that wouldn't fit very well in the Golf (and/or would be exposed to make it all fit).

ONE of us can parallel park ;-)and we both drive stick.

Old May 21st, 2003, 01:06 PM

I rented a Vectra twice in Switzerland.
It was a good car. It did not have the acceleration of an American car, but it got better fuel economy. Most importantly with brand new Michelin tires on it handling on those mountain roads was excellent. I had no objections to it. I had rather have had a 5 speed gear box rather than an automatic. The folks who rented us the car had Americans sterotyped as being unable to handle a manual transmission.
I was forced to tell them differently;
I drive one every time I get in my own car.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM

We had an Opel Vectra station wagon on our trip in Germany last year. We had no trouble driving or parking, and I'm not a person who especially enjoys driving. It's not a real big car. We didn't have much trouble finding our way around with good maps and paying attention to signs, but a GPS system might help in smaller towns where the signs can be difficult to find.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Fortunately my husband's co-worker at Bayer is setting up the car rental in Germany. We specified standard to save $! I hope it will have decent pick up! I want to enjoy the autobahn just a little bit. I know gas can run quite high with the cost of a litre so that is good that it is more economical.

I think we are paying $312 Euros for 5 days. Sounded good to me and the similar car on AutoEurope was closer to $400.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM

I was upgraded to a Vectra in England last year. No real problems with the size of the car but we were not in cities. The trunk is quite large. It was a nice car to drive. On ours reverse was right beside first. Shifting into reverse required lifting a little ring on the shifter. It's easy once you know but caused a few anxious moments initially.
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:53 PM

We had an Opel Vectra on both our trips to Italy and Spain. The car was new, and very comfortable. I would say the size of the new Camry. Had no problems with the gears or driving in small villages and mountains