Reload this Page >

Ooo ooo that smell!!

Search

Ooo ooo that smell!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Doug

Ooo ooo that smell!!

I've read that our sense of smell can instantaneously spark certain memories because both memories and our olfactory senses are located in the same area of the brain. Certain perfumes remind me of old girlfriends. The fragrance of roses still reminds me of a childhood friend's house. Whenever I smell diesel exhaust memories of downtown Munich flash through my brain. I hate fish, but when I smell it I'm reminded of a stroll twenty years ago around the Isle of Wight. Does anybody else suffer these "flashbacks" when they encounter everyday mundane odors?

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:32 PM
pam

I love the smell of diesel fumes ever since my first trip to Europe in '85. It takes me back instantly. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:42 PM
elvira

1) light rain on a city street reminds me of Paris <BR>2) Quorum aftershave reminds me of Nice <BR>3) Really wet leaves remind me of northern Ireland <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 06:08 PM
dan woodlief

I know it's not Europe, but the smell of garlic reminds me of Beijing. I remember smelling garlic everywhere when I was there, even in the hotel elevators (all alone).

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 09:44 PM
April

Guess I won't be rushing to Beijing then. <BR> <BR>Smelling nicotiana flowers again not too many years ago took me back in an instant to my childhood. I don't know what the memory was but it felt wonderful, like going home. <BR> <BR>Some coffee smells take me back to Amsterdam. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 11:11 AM
Al

Body odor = France.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 11:18 AM
brian

stale piss and wafty loveliness of human excrement reminds of the world's most beautiful city, Paris

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 12:26 PM
Reader

The smell of sizzling real butter in a frying pan always takes me back to a campground in Switzerland near Saas Fee. My husband whipping up some delectable dish on our borrowed two-burner stove while I get silly sipping red, red wine. The last rays of the sun on the spitzes high above, and the sound of little brook rushing home to the sea. <BR> <BR>does it get any better?

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:46 AM
proostyanne

Roasting sugared almonds will always evoke the Costa Brava in 1968. <BR> <BR>Hot pine needles and honeysuckle evokes the Acropolis. <BR> <BR>Burnt toast is New York City. <BR> <BR>Wet wool and un-deodorized male sweat is the London underground.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:50 AM
Cassandra

Long before the decomposition of the former Yugoslavia, my husband and I had a week on the island of Hvar as part of our honeymoon. In the town square, older ladies sold home-made extracts of lavender in tiny bottles, which they hawked by calling "lavanda-lavanda-lavanda" the moment one stepped within some invisible radius from where they sat. <BR> <BR>Is Hvar still okay? Are the ladies still there? Do they still sell their own lavender, or is it resold from some wholesaler in some other country altogether?

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 03:57 PM
paciano diaz

I posted a message asking people what type of music or other catalyst reminds or "takes back" a person to his/her travels. For me, Yanni's musics takes me back Greece!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 04:05 PM
elizabeth

There's a distinct smell in formal French gardens (I think it's boxwood) that every now and again in Canadian gardens I'll catch a whiff of - I'm immediately transported back to Villandry. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 12:05 AM
April

Oh I love that boxwood and privet smell. You mean they don't grow everywhere? <BR> <BR>Given the smells that seem to go along with France, it's surprising that it's so popular. <BR> <BR>Fresh bagel/bread reminds me of early morning Athens. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 08:13 AM
Valerie

Whenever I go to a European City, I will buy a different perfume and wear it everyday for the rest of the trip. Then when I get home I only use that perfume on special days when I need a pick up and I am instantly taken back to that city for the whole day I smell it.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 09:24 AM
Richard

The stinky smell of car exhaust in Paris

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 07:16 PM
Joanna

The smell of lamb grilling takes me right back to Greece. I first bought Opium perfume on a trip to Japan in 1996 and every time I smell it I feel as if I'm back in Kyoto. Ditto for Shalimar and Italy.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 07:17 PM
Joanna

Not that anyone will care, but for the sake of correctness that trip to Japan was in 1986. Sorry.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Vickie

Diesel exhaust fumes...London buses!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 03:36 AM
Mike Miller

I know it really does sound weird but the bus diesel fumes take me back to England in the 60's.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 01:22 PM
Jeff

There are many smells that remind me of Europe: <BR>-the smell of coffee also reminds me of Amsterdam along with the smell of fresh pastries <BR>-when I smell bread baking it reminds me of Paris <BR>-Chocolate reminds me of Brussels <BR>-Diesel fumes remind me of London <BR>-Smell of seafood reminds me of Ireland <BR>-The odor of scotch, of course, reminds me of Scotland <BR>-The smell of sheep reminds me of Wales <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -