Onur Air --Question of safety?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK-- so after procrastinating for months I finally got tickets for an Onur Air flight from Antalya to Istanbul in June. One week later I was watching CNN and saw that Germany and the Netherlands have banned Onur from landing at their airports because of safety questions.
Now I am worried!
Anybody out there flown on Onur, and if so, what was your impression about the airline in general?
L couldn't find any specific safety infractions listed inthe article I found, but it is still worrisome.
Guess I should have paid the bigger bucks for Turkish Air!
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I have the same issue. We are flying a total of 4 legs within Turkey in the next three weeks.

We are flying from Amsterdam to Istanbul on Corendon Air and apparently that airline uses Onur airplanes for many of their flights. I sure hope that we will still be able to get into Istanbul!
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:14 PM

One of my friends that works for RyanAir as a financial analyst clued me on this but I am not sure... she said that the move came in after local charter airlines began losing too much market share but who knows, maybe it really is safety... but yeah, I heard OnurAir had 70% of air traffic between some European countries.
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:48 AM

At this very moment about two thousand tourists are waiting in Turkish airports to get back home to Europe (NL and Germany). Onur Air has indeed been banned from landing in both NL and Germany, for safety issues. They can of course fly into Brussels that hasn't (yet) banned Onur. From Brussels people will be transported by bus to the NL and Germany. If Belgium would also ban Onur, that would be a catastrophy with the tourist season in sight.

Flights within Turkey are not affected until now.

@ eurotraveller: The ban in the NL will last for at least one month. Tour operators are investigating other alternatives and try to rebook people on other flights. Do contact Corendon and ask them on which flight A'am-Istanbul you are scheduled now.
Good luck!
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I called Corendon Air and they told me that the flight from Istanbul from Amsterdam is not operated by Onur Air. Whew!