Only One Inca Band!

Mar 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Only One Inca Band!

Recently returned from a month jaunt in Europe and saw only one Inca band - in fact just a solo Inca-looking guy in the Paris metro playing with the ubiquitous suitcase of CDs for sale.
Though it was winter i saw plenty of other buskers everywhere i went.

Not long ago there were Inca bands on every corner - maybe they can't get visas?

Wassup with the Inca bands?
Mar 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM

The Dordogne markets are lousy with them in summer.
Mar 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Are the Inca bands the same the American Indian looking guys playing flutes?

We saw them in Venice. Are they from the US or are they just dressed up that way?
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I think this sort of band originate from regions of the Andes in South America.
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

It's true - a couple of years ago there was no escaping the panpipes wherever you went. Here in Holland the accordeon seems to have taken over.
I once read that all the Inca bands came from one small area of Colombia I think it was. In any case it wasn't an Inca country, but was definitely South American.
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM

There was more than ONE Inca band???!!! All this time I thought the same folks were following us from Quebec City to San Antonio to Covent Garden to the Marienplatz to Las Ramblas to the Piazza Navona. Every vacation the family took over the past 15 years resulted in meeting up with those dudes. Never bought a CD but I used their music in the background of a number of my home videos as I panned around whatever venue they played in.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM

My dh bought a cd from them on Portobello Road years ago and, frankly, we still pull it out every now and then and enjoy it. I used to see them everywhere--France, UK, Ireland and here in the US. This thread made me realize I haven't seen any in a long time. Just got back from 2 weeks in Paris and didn't see any. However, the accordian players have taken over the Metro cars!
Mar 15th, 2007, 08:35 PM

PalenQ:

After hearing and seeing my umpteenth ubiquitous Peruvian pipers I worked out a theory...every Sunday night in Lima, a chartered 767 (owned by the sindicato that backs these musical nomads)loads up 40 groups and takes off for Amsterdam.

From here, three groups stay in Amsterdam, the others board the first trains for places like Paris, Brussels, Bruge, Cologne, Berlin, Copenhagen, etc etc etc...by Tuesday late day all are settled and piping away.

At 9pm Sunday, all groups converge on Amsterdam and board the charter, arriving back in Lima where they have a day and a half to see the kids....and on Sunday night it all starts again. What a great life of world travel!
Stu T.
Mar 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM

Errata: That should read "at 9pm, Saturday"..and they arrive same day in Lima...etc

Stu T.
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Stu: i've often thought the same - that there really must be some organized business that overseas all this - rather expensive for the average Inca type to fly to Europe, make CDs, pay for lodging, etc.

It would be interesting to see how it all works - your scenario may be exaggerated by right on.

perhaps they bring coca to Amsterdam as well to maximize profits!
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I'm thinking they must be able to teleport, as they are ALWAYS playing on the Koenigstrasse in downtown Stuttgart!
Mar 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM

PalnQ:

Remember, I mention the "sindicato" backing the flights...obviously "coca" is in the mix, and the innocent piperrs are the delivering "agents"... all over Europe. Whatta business!

Stu T.