Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only 5 nights in Andalucia! Short but Sweet!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites,
We (husband and I, both in our mid-50s) are planning a short trip to Southern Spain at the end of April. Our interests are walking around, outdoor markets, architecture - big and small, and Jewish history. I would like to fly into and out of Madrid (less expensive) and train straight to Seville. I know I want to spend a good amount of the time in Seville and do a full-day trip to Cordoba. We like the idea of basing ourselves in 1 place, perhaps 2 places. Seville only? Also Granada? How would you organize a 5 night "taste of Andalucia" trip? We hope that it is only our first trip to the region, as we certainly will be left with a taste for more. Thank you for any suggestions you have!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 08:50 AM

I wouldn't even think of going to Granada when you only have 5 days and want to fly in and out of Madrid. I hope you are saving a lot of money for doing that.

Personally, in your situation I'd stay all 5 nights in Seville. And do the Cordoba day trip. You can do another day trip if you want (say to Ronda or Cadiz or something).

Are you aware of how far away from Seville Granada is? As far as I know, there are no direct trains between the two points.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
<< I know I want to spend a good amount of the time in Seville and do a full-day trip to Cordoba. >>
Three night in Seville, rent a car, one night in Granada, one night in Cordoba, drop off car at Barajas Airport.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 11:39 AM

I would check the price difference to fly to Seville and home from Madrid. You'll probably still have a layover in Madrid, but easier to change planes than to get the train, plus of course you have the expense of the train. Might be worth checking it out.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 01:18 PM

I agree with SusanP about checking into open-jaw (multi-city) airline tickets. Or, if you aren't interested in seeing Madrid, check out RT tickets to Sevilla.

Normally, I always advise people to visit Granada and the Alhambra when they are in Andalucia, and I also advise people to spend 1 or 2 nights in lovely Cordoba. However, with only 5 nights, I agree with Christina that it's probably best to spend all 5 nights in Sevilla and take a day trip to Cordoba.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 01:34 PM

<<How would you organize a 5 night "taste of Andalucia" trip? >>

I would combine two nights in Almeria with this:
https://www.parador.es/en/experience...art-al-andalus
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 02:00 PM

5 nights is basically four days.
Agrre with all time in Seville..day trip to Córdoba
Another short bus trip we took from Seville was to Italica
...well preserved Roman mosaics and amphitheatre..
Definitely worth several hours.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 03:15 PM
kja

With so little time, focusing on Sevilla makes a lot of sense, with Cordoba as a day trip or (better) overnight. IMO, you simply don't have time to include Granada.

I trust you'll check the cost of the trains to and from Seville, and the cost of a night at a hotel in Madrid (you would have to be there the night before your flight) before concluding that it is less expensive to fly into Madrid.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by danon
5 nights is basically four days.
Five night in Andalusia is basically six days in Andalusia, assuming the OP is flying in from North America.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cdnyul
Five night in Andalusia is basically six days in Andalusia, assuming the OP is flying in from North America.
Sure, if they arrive in Seville at 8:00 AM and
chose to leave for Madrid at 8M the last day. - might even be longer.

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 08:55 PM

Say you arrive very early to Madrid. By time you get into the city and to the train station, then to Seville and to your hotel, you will use up at least a half day and be jet lagged, though you may actually rest and recover a bit on the train. Anyway, you cannot possibly have more than a tired half day the first day. Repeat in reverse and you use up a half day returning to Madrid the last day, and you need to stay the last night in Madrid to be near the airport.

It would be very helpful to know exactly what the dates and times are of your arrival and departure.

You absolutely do not have time to get to Granada. Driving there for a night is useless. You want to see the Alhambra. That takes a few hours and you really want some daylight. So, not possible.

Cordoba makes sense because it is right on the way between Madrid and Seville.

Since you are interested in Jewish history, Toledo is only a half hour by bus or train from Madrid and it is incredible. The history of the building of the synagogue there is very interesting and so is the style. It is an amazing little city and you might be able to squeeze it in. Again, depends on your exact time available.

You could land and go straight to Seville, then take a day trip back to Córdoba.
However, I suggest this possibility.
1. Arrive and go straight to Córdoba by train.
Stay one night. Walking tour in the afternoon. See the Mezquita early the next morning.
2. Take the train to Seville, arrive by noon. stay three nights. Gives you two and 1/2 days.
3. Head to Madrid early as possible. As soon as you check into your hotel, head to Toledo by bus. See Cathedral and Synagogue (check times) and have dinner before late return to Madrid by bus or train. Have to check times. If there is time, end your day in Toledo with a ride on a small gauge train through the mountains around Toledo for beautiful views of the city.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:05 PM
kja

If you follow Sassafrass's interesting plan, I think you can go straight from Toledo to Madrid's airport (and thus skip Madrid entirely, as you really won't have any time for it).
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by kja
If you follow Sassafrass's interesting plan, I think you can go straight from Toledo to Madrid's airport (and thus skip Madrid entirely, as you really won't have any time for it).
They could spend their last night in Toledo? I saw that mentioned by someone else awhile back, but wasn’t sure about cost and timing. It is an excellent idea though.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 10:29 PM
kja

I think so -- I think joannyc has mentioned it, and a quick glance at rome2rio made me think it possible. But the OP should definitely check before making any commitments.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:14 AM

3 nights in Seville with a daytrip to Cordoba and 2 in Granada.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:46 AM

If Granada is a must, you might check flights from Madrid to Granada since you are at the airport already.
2 nights in Granada, early bus or train to Seville
and 3 nights in Seville.
If you have the energy, you could take an early train to Madrid
with half a day stop in Córdoba. Evening in Madrid.
I would not risk leaving from any destination outside Madrid on the morning of the flight home.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 12:12 PM
mjs

You can drive from Seville to Granada but it takes about 2 1/2 hours each way. We started early in the morning and returned early eve.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Kja, yes, that was me who mentioned going from Toledo to Barajas. It is only an hour drive. So, roughly twice as long as from Madrid city center. They could hire a car service or a taxi. Or, even rent a car but that would take longer to drop off on the other end. It does eliminate the need to get to Madrid and another hotel checkin.

I know many people here insist on staying in their departure city the night before. But, I, many times, do not. Have never run into an issue getting to the airport on time yet.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:32 PM
kja

Good info, joannyc -- thanks! Too, I think one can get from Toledo to Barajas by public transportation in about 2 hours -- my personal cut off for distance from a departure flight from a trip abroad to my home destination. I, personally, wouldn't want to opt for anything further, and I can understand that many people might not want to be even that far on the night before a flight. Just an option to consider, IMO.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 08:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Kja, thanks.

I'm with you on the distance from the departure airport. And, another night in Toledo is always a good thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -