Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Online Trenitalia Train Booking- Problem?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:47 AM
daisy

I am going to Italy next week and my friend told me I could online book scheduled train ticket via http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/, and then I could save time by just approaching ticket machine.

But I have tried several times trying to purchase tickets but couldn't proceed after no. of tickets selection page. So my question is:

1.) Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the site?

2.) Is it quick to purchase tickets over the counter at train station in major italian cities, would there be price difference?

thx
Daisy

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Alice Twain

That site works one day out of ten, probably (I mean I never got it to work!). You can buy your tickets a the counter or throught the yellow machines at absolutely no difference of price from buying them throught the Internet, except that in this case you will probably not be able to book a seat, and therefore you may ahe a few problems in getting on the Eurostar trains. Booking fee (it does not matter whether you are buying the tickets at the station or through the Internet) is 3 euro, but most Italian trains either allow travellers with no reservation or do not allow reservation at all, the only exception being Eurostar trains. Obviously without a reservation you may not be able to get yourself a seat for the whole travel, but unless you are going to travel for a long time this should not be a problem. In any case, if you have time enough, try to buy the tickets at small stations isntead of at the major ones: at Milano Centrale station you might have to wait in a long queue (in particular if you want to book a seat for a train the next day), but if you have time to go at any other station (in Milano or outside Milano) you shouldbe able to place your serservation and get your tickets in some 0 minutes. On the whole, being a frequent Italian train traveller I find it easier to buy the tickets either at the yellow machine (which also provide booking as well) or at smaller stations sucha s Milano Lambrate which forces me to 10 minutes of subway travelling, but spares me one hour of queue.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Helen Donegan

This site hasn't been working for many months now. The prices they quote are the same as you pay at any station here.
It is not difficult to buy your tickets here but it can take a bit of time so don't leave it until the last minute.
http://www.italywithus.biz/main_page..._transport.htm

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
cm

I've booked train tickets through AAA and their affiliation with a German (?) company (the tix are printed in German) called DAR (or something like that) it's easy to do but will cost you more. I've also just walked up to the ticket counter in Florence and bought tickets for the next day to Venice - no problems either way.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Kay

Daisy,
2 tips for you - write down exactly what you want and show it to the ticket person, we found that really helped.
Also, we found it easier and quicker to buy tickets at a travel agent in Italy, most of them sell train tickets, it's the same price as at the station.
Kay

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Alice Twain

Kay:

Not all travel agencies charge the same price as the stations, some add a (smal) fee of their own. Besides, seat booking through travel agencies sometimes led to problems with seat assignation, so that it happened that two people had the same seat booking. It is always better to buy tickets at the station, if you are afraid of long queues, you can book them at smaller stations such as, for instance, Campo di Marte instead of Santa Maria Fiorella in Florence, etc.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Daisy

thank you all for your suggestions. My first stop is Milan Central station where I will live in nearby hotel. Where is the nearest train station other than this busy central station? And what is yellow machine?

thx again

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:01 PM
daisy

Dear all:

In addition, can I purchase tickets from Rome to Naples at station other than Rome's, such as Milan's?

thx