Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One week to experience France, where to go, what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 02:40 AM
Cari Pirello

Got to use those frequent flyer miles before they expire! My friend and I have one week to go anywhere we choose in France (or anywhere for that matter, but thought we'd investigate France as an option. We prefer traveling casual and inexpensively and love being typical tourist - taking in the people, culture, food, archeticture, ambiance and oddities of our destination. any and all suggestions about where to go and what to do are appreciated.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:58 AM
Paige

Paris!

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 04:39 AM
Kim

Cari, <BR> <BR>If you only have a week, I would suggest that you stay in Paris, and then take a couple of day trips (i.e. Versailles, Normandy, and possibly the Loire Valley). If beither of you have never been to Paris this would be a good first trip. Of course there is much more to France than Paris, but given your limited time, this (in my opinion) would be the way to go. You'll be able to truly appreciate Paris and all it has to offer. Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>Kim

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 04:57 AM
elaine

Cari <BR>take the above advice. France is relatively large (about the size of Texas I believe) and you can't <BR>see more than a bit of it. Base yourself in Paris, devote at least 4 full days to seeing Paris. Then do a couple of daytrips if you wish, although spending the whole week seeing Paris will not bore you! If you're going at this time of year, I wouldn't do daytrips to places like Giverny and I might even hesitate about Versailles where the gardens are so much a part of the experience, at least for me. Perhaps go to Chartres (the cathedral is magnificent) or Reims (another cathedral, plus champagne caves, if they are open in the winter) or Fontainebleau <BR>or do a daytrip or overnighter to Lyon where the food is magnificent. <BR>If you want to see my notes on Paris and daytrips, email me. <BR>good luck

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Diane

I agree with the other comments. Basis yourself in Paris and take day trips to Versailles, Giverny, Chartres, etc.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 08:23 AM
lisa

I totally agree with the others. Stay in Paris for the week and take daytrips. I recommend the Loire Valley and Versailles. That leaves 5 days to really experience Paris which is NOT too much for this fantastic, gorgeous city.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Sandi

Cari, <BR> <BR>I would like to suggest that you visit the Mont St. Michel. Several months ago I took a two-week tour of France and the Mont was one of my favorite stops. You would probably enjoy a visit to the D-Day beaches of Normandy also, especially Point Du Hoc. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Luis E. Vernon

Cari: <BR> <BR>After seeing Paris, I would head for the Loire valley and see the towns of Angers & Saumur.. Angers is right on thr TGV routes. Saumur is 30 mins from Angers on regular SNCF train..an easy commute... If not the Loire valley, try going dowen to Lyons and see Croix Rousse district, Fourviere and just stroll along the banks of the Rhone & Saone rivers...E-mail if you need more advice..