Reload this Page >

Venice-Naples Overnight Train in Double Sleeper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Chels

What is the difference between the "double" sleeper and the "2T" on the overnight train? I have travelled on overnight trains before, but always with groups of people where we reserved the entire couchette car. I am travelling with only my husband this year, and we have reserved the double sleeper for the sake of privacy. Can anyone describe the experience for me - pros and cons? (My husband is not fond of flying, and I have been unable to persuade him to make the short hop on Alitalia - so the train it is.) <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:11 AM
Paige

I've taken a few sleeper cars (3) and they were all the same. I'm not sure if there's 1st class and 2nd class. We had a small compartment with 2 bunks on one side (one above the other) and a little sink at the end by the window. Each compartment had its own heating control and a lock on the door. There seemed to be enough space for luggage (under the bunk, a few racks) but we just had backpacks and maybe another small bag. The beds were comfortable and had sheets, a pillow and blankets. Personally, I love taking sleeper cars! The compartments are somewhat small but they're cozy and romantic. The trips I took were Milan-Paris and Munich-Florence. I have no idea what "2T" is.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Chels

Thank you for the response. In the sleeper cars, are the beds convertible to seats, like the couchettes? Or must I "go to bed" as soon as I board? <BR> <BR>Thanks again. <BR> <BR>-C

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 09:30 AM
JP

Sleepers convert to seats just like couchettes do. 2T usually means 2-tier, or upper/lower.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 10:07 AM
lina

I think it depends what time you get on the train. We had a first class sleeper in October leaving about 9pm and the beds were already made up. The conductor put the seats back in place at our request in the morning.