Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One week itinerary by public transport in Norway in early August

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has any feedback or opinion on my itinerary, I'd appreciate it. I can only afford to stay in youth hostels so make choices of towns according to whether there is a youth hostel.

Day 1: 16.10 Train Oslo-Voss. Stay Voss

Day 2: Train Voss-Murdal-Flam onto ferry Flam-Balestrand. Stay Balestrand

Day 3: Hike near Balestrand. Stay Balestrand.

Day 4: Ferry or bus to Sogndal to visit various stave churches (any opinions whether it is worth going to both of Urnes and Kaupanger?). Stay Sogndal.

Day 5: Take bus to Kaupanger then ferry Kaupanger- Gudvangen to see the impressive fjord leading up to Gudvangen. Bus to Bergen. Stay Bergen.

Day 6: Visit Bergen. Stay Bergen.

Day 7: Visit Bergen then take overnight train to Oslo.

I won't stay in Flam because I have heard that the town is not as nice as Balestrand. Since I will be using my time in balestrand for hiking, is the hiking better than that around Flam. Any opinions?

Originally I was planning on doing the triangle tour (to stavanger to go to pulpit rock and the lysefjord) and norway in nutshell but I think it would be better to enjoy one area as opposed to rushing to see stuff.

Does anyone have an opinions on whether it would be worth the extra journeying to got to Stavanger and see pulpit rock?

I know that there is a day trip from Sogndal to the nearby glaciers. I would like to see them but plan on saving them for another trip. Any opinions on the day trip?