Reload this Page >

One Week In Paris - need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Christina

My mother, sister and I are leaving in 2 weeks for Paris. None of us have ever been there, and we will be staying a week. What are some of the best things to see? Obviously the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc. I've heard about tours to the Loure Valley, is this worth doing or is it even open in January? Any ideas will be helpful.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:45 AM
nicki

You might want to take a day trip to the palce of versailles.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
elaine

Christina<BR>In my opinion you need at least one good guidebook (Fodors is one) and a map. Elsewhere here on fodors.com you can find some basic, free, information on the most popular sights in Paris, but you should plan with your family what each of you wants to do and see.<BR>You have not just Paris to see, but companions to get along with!<BR><BR>Some if not all of the chateaux may be closed in January, but if you go to the websites for the popular tour companies parisvision and cityrama, they can advise you as to whether or not they offer tours of some of the Loire Valley chateaux in the winter.<BR><BR>There are many other websites that can help you plan; the Louvre for example has an excellent website.<BR><BR>I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:15 AM
iluvparis

you definately have to go to the Louvre Museum. I would also suggest a day trip to the Palace of Versailles (only about 30 minutes by RER.) Also, just spend a day taking the Metro around Paris and getting off at random stops. That way you get to see places you generally wouldn't see. Have Fun!!!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
joe

No Versailles! It's dead and not for a visitor of some taste and urbanity--save it for the Asian tour bus.<BR><BR>I just got back and wil post a trip report. But the Orsay, walk all of the Ille de Paris (Louis and Cite), eat at Aux Lyonaise, 2eme arr, Chartres and walk a mile. Go to the neighborhoods, that's Paris.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
Carol

Paris is my absolute favorite city. We visited for the first time when my daughter was at the Sorbonne. <BR><BR>The highlights of our trip were the Louvre, the D'Orsay, evening boat ride on the Seine, Saint Chappelle (extraordinary), the view from the top of Notre Dame and the wandering through neighborhoods and finding unexpected delights such as pastry shops, chocolate shops, boutiques, creperies, etc.<BR><BR>We did leave for a few days to visit friends in the Loire Valley and we saw Chartres, Chambord and Amboise. Everything was just wonderful. <BR><BR>As Elaine suggested, a good guide book is an excellent resource and necessary for most cities. We used the Eyewitness Paris book. It is a bit heavy, but the photos are great for recognizing landmarks, sites, etc. <BR><BR>Have a great time.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Christina

Thank you all so much for your responces. This helps a lot!!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Howard

There is so much to see and do in Paris that a week really isn't that much time. Thus, I would recommend you only spend one day at most out of Paris. (We were in Paris for 2 weeks and didn't come close to seeing everything we wanted to!)

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Melissa

I went to Versailles in March once and it was not blooming, but at least the place wasn't crowded. I would recommend it. I also took a day tour to Reims, which was the highlight of one of my trips. <BR><BR>Take a walking tour, I thought that was a fab &amp; inexpensive way to learn a little more about the quirks of various neighborhoods. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ParisWalking/PWTHOME.HTM<BR><BR>Once I took my brother from the Arc de Triomphe and walked all the way down the Champs Elysee. We crossed the Tuilieries, rode the ferris wheel, then visited the Louvre. OK, it's not a short walk, but if you are looking to work off your meals.......<BR><BR>Don't forget to go shopping! BHV, Galleries Lafayette, Printemps, Samaritaine and all the little boutiques in the Marais.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:40 PM
confused

Sorry, but maybe I'm not reading this right. Are you asking if the Loire Valley is open in January?

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Mmm

I have been to Paris 8 times, and I always visited the Louvre. It's absolutely wonderful, and after you are tired of looking at the amazing artwork you have amazing architecture to look at. I think now I pay more attention to the building than I do the artwork.<BR><BR>However, on my last trip I finally visited the Musuem D'Orsay. I wish I hadn't waited. This museum has all of the Impressionist paintings you could hope to see. I think it's a nice contrast to the Louvre. The good news, it's so close! Please don't miss this great museum.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Nancy

I spent a month in Paris, May 2001, and my favorite places were the Rodin Museum, Cluny museum (not full name), Nissam Camondo house museum (for a view of Paris living and gorgeous furniture), Jacquemart-Andre museum. Of course, you'll want to visit the Louvre and you might want to look at Rick Steves' Paris guidebook - there's a section that gives you about a 2 hour tour of the highlights that most are familiar with, otherwise, you could spend a day there. Notre Dame and Isle St Louis you can see easily. For a day trip I highly recommend Rouen for the cathedrals, half-timbered buildings, museums, walk along the River, etc. I can send you my day trip to Rouen or my whole trip to Paris if you e-mail me directly.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM
gsh

My two sisters and I went two years ago for the first time, and these were our favorite museums: The D'Orsay (fabulous Impressionists collection, the Cluny (where &quot;the lady and the unicorn&quot; tapestries are, plus lots more that isn't touted much but we found fascinating; also, it's relatively small and very easy to see in a couple of hours); the Rodin museum - housed in his former home, statues throughout the home and in the gardens - best to rent the audio cassette. You MUST have hot chocolate at Charlotte's and go to Catherine's perfum shop. Two locations. We also to a subway and spent a Sat. morning at a flea market. Great fun! If you want to do a day trip, consider going to one (or more) of the incredible chateaus in the Loire valley.<BR><BR>I agree with another post-er: You need a couple of good guide books and should read up before you leave and while you're in the air. Have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Pam

The Louvre..we spent three hours in the <BR>Egyptian exhibit alone. Tea at one of the many salons..Mariages Freres has come up on this forum over the past few days..The Hammans at the Paris Mosque..a bathing experience beyond sublime. The flea market can be a wonderful place to poke about. Rue Mouffetarde for a look at shopping in Paris..the outside stands are a photographic opportunity. Pere Lachaise(sp) cemetary where Oscar Wilde,Edith Piaf,Jim Morrison and countless others are buried. The section with monuments to the various concentration camp victims and to the resistance are particularly moving. Get Patricia Wells &quot;A Food Lover's Guide to Paris&quot; you will find restaurants,cafes, chocolatiers,bakeries etc. to check out. I think she also lists the various outdoor markets and their days. Look into the various church concerts to my memory St Julien in the 5th has evening concerts. Try some of the &quot;ethnic food&quot; of Paris..berber,moroccan,vietnamese. Do check out the 11th around the bastille. Some compare it to Soho.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Pam

At a New Years Day party other guests were talking about private art collections in Paris that are open to the public like the Phillips Collection in DC..does anyone know of some to suggest?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Amy

Try to see a ballet performance at the Paris Opera. There are two, the Opera Garnier is quite impressive, and the tickets can be purchased online directly from the Paris Opera before you go. It is quite enjoyable, the work is world class and the building is a work of art in itself.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:02 PM
xxx

Paris is full of rude people and crappy art. Go to other parts of France, or even better, other parts of europe and enjoy!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:40 PM
deborah

Christina, I was in Paris last year with three of my sisters and my daughter its a great city to share with your family, if you have half the fun we did, you will have the best of trips, we went to Galeries Lafayette for the fashion show (its a freebie but you have to make reservations), spent time at the cemetery pere lachaise, ok so we are a little quirky, but it gave us some terrific pictures, visiting the street markets is great fun, and just get out and walk the neighborhoods, we also used Eyewitness paris, it worked for us, have a great time and stay warm