One Week in Nice in early May

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Week in Nice in early May

We will be spending a week in Nice the first week of May and I'm wondering what, that time of year, are the "don't miss - must see & do" type things. I'm not expecting to spend much time on the beach, since I don't think it will be that warm (am I wrong?) and while I am willing to do a few museums would rather spend my time doing more "active" things. Any help and suggestions would be really appreciated! We are willing to rent vehicles for at least part of the time. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM

The weather can be warm in May so you may find yourself enjoying the beach. I would definitely rent a car for at least part of the time and explore the Riviera in either direction. Also, driving into the Alps Maritime is beautiful. I think that the don't miss sights are the wonderful towns that you can explore.
June
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Definitely visit some hill towns, especially EZE it was great. Also take the train to Monaco for half a day and also visit Cannes, they have a better (sand) beach and it is smaller and a more intimate feel. Have fun
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I think it will be warm enough to spend some beach time if you want. The nicest (sandiest) beaches are in Cannes & west of Cannes (Juan les Pins has some great public beaches.)Have a look at the website provencebeyond.com for more info. It should give you average temps for that time.

If you're in to hiking/walking there are plenty of choices there whether along the coast (there are some wonderful footpaths in Beaulieu & Cap Ferrat) or up in the hills. The walk from Eze train station up to the walled village is quite a trek. Don't know if you'd consider markets (food, antiques, flowers) "active" but there are many-Nice, Vence, Antibes. You can visit the glass blowing factory in Biot (make sure to continue into the old town of Biot after).

You should really invest in a good guide for the area. Most of my must see & dos are art/museum related
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM

ttt
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Just curious. When visiting Eze by car--is it park somewhere below and climb by foot?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I believe so; I remember that we decided not to do it, as it was quite a hot day.

As for what to see, what are your interests? You can choose from art, Roman ruins, nature, shopping, food and flower markets, old villages, people-watching in Cannes...depends on what you enjoy. Do keep in mind, though, that the end of May will be the big film festival in Cannes--so if you want to look at celebrities, here's your chance. Or not!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:49 AM

I'm about to go to Nice myself. Anyone know of a good place for horseback riding? I'd like to just do a short scenic excursion ride (2-3 hours maybe). My boyfriend and I are intermediate level riders.