One Week In Lake Garda

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Week In Lake Garda

Staying in Sirmione at the end of July. There is SO much to see and do so can I have advice on must do's please
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Make sure you visit some of the other lakeside villages - Malcesine and Limone immediately spring to mind. Drive up into the mpountains - the views down to the lake are incredible and there are some decent small restaurants and cafes up there with beautiful terraces you sit out on.

Verona is a very easy day trip and a lovely city for just wandering (Roman arena and theatre, more good food, shopping etc). Venice is also doable by train.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Has anyone driven from Lake Garda (gargnano) to Ljubljana, Slovenia? My hotel just told me it takes 3 hours and all highway. When I mapquest shows a lot longer?
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi dd,

of all the places we visited in our week on Lake Garda as few years ago, Malcesine was perhaps the most fun - you can get a cable car up to the top of Monte Bardo, where you'll find an alpine garden, some nice walks, and mountain restaurants with local specialities - and in you're unlucky like us - fog.

the only snag is that from Sirmone, places towards the north of the lake may take longer to get to, but they are still worth it, IMO.

rather than drive much, I'd suggest using the boats - they will get you to almost everywhere you could want to go and you don't have to worry about parking.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
brucej13, it's also calculated as a longer drive by maps.google.com and viamichelin.com, with the latter's estimate the longest at just over 5 hours. Considering the July tourist traffic on the lake, it could take even longer. But are you staying in Sirmione or Gargnano?

I also suggest Malcesine and add Riva del Garda at the northern end of the lake.