Lake Garda - Which resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to fly to either Milan or Venice at the beginning of September (from England). Rather than just going for a city break I thought I might extend my trip and spend a few nights at Lake Garda as well. Which resort would you recommend? OH and I enjoy walking and cycling and visiting local cultural attractions. Which guide book would you suggest to help me on my way? There are a few on amazon but many haven't been reviewed.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM

I think I'd go for Sirmione.
It has a castle and some very fine Roman remains.
The poet Catullus used to stay there.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MissPrism

Does anybody have any guidebook recommendations for lake garda?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I agree Sirmione is a very place to stay. Also you can have daily trips to places like Mantova and Verona. And also of course by hydro across the lake.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, dmj,

yes, sirmone is lovely, but has the disadvantage of being at the end of the lake, not the middle, which means that the ferries take that much longer to get anywhere.

if you stay in the middle [ie half way up either side] you have more scope for boat trips.

we spent a week in garda itself and loved it. nice town with good bars, shops, restaurants, and very good for getting around the rest of the lake.

try reading HV morton - "a traveller in Italy" for a flavour of the lake and indeed Italy of years ago.

regards, ann
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann

Do the trains/buses go to garda or would I need a car?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I'm just back from Riva del Garda, which I would thoroughly recommend. Fabulous scenery, lots of great restaurants, tons of cycles and walks around as well as plenty of other activities.

We were there for a week and took a side trip to Malcesine which was a lovely town also on the lake but which doesn't get as much sun during the day due to the big tall mountain just behind it.

I didn't go to Sirmione so can't compare the two.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Littlejane - where did you stay?
Do you think I will have trouble finding somewhere nice for the first week in September this year bearing in mid we're nearly into July?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:51 AM

We stayed in Hotel Luise www.feelinghotelluise.it

It was one of the few hotels I've ever stayed in that looked as good (or probably better) in real life as on the internet. I would stay there again. We chose it primarily because it has a pool and many of the other more central hotels do not have pools. It is about 10/15 mins walk from the town centre, more if you take the scenic route. There are bikes everywhere and you can bike to the centre of town in a couple of mins. The food there was disappointing so I would not choose the half board option; there are plenty of nice restaurants in town.

Pool area and the room itself were very nice - and we chose a "standard" room with balcony which was more than roomy enough for 2 adults and a baby. We had planned to upgrade to one of the bigger rooms on arrival (the standard was all that our travel agent could offer us) but once we saw the room we thought there was no need.

If you would like me to add anything just ask!

jane

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM

hi, dmj,

buses certainly go to garda; not sure about trains.

also lots of boats.

Riva is very nice, but suffers from the same problem as sirmone - it's at the extreme end of the lake [the north in Riva's case] so getting to other places takes longer.

regards, ann
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Trains service is only at the very southern end. Desenzano and one or two other towns.

As long as your train gets to the southern end early enough, then you can take a boat north to your hotel.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM

For Riva we took a train to Rovereto and then a taxi to Riva (about 35 mins). There are buses too as far as I know.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

The south end is more family orientated, with beaches, boating etc. To my mind the mid-section and North are prettier. I like Malcesine (obvious choice,really, but very pleasant to stroll around nonetheless) and although I've not visited it, I thought Limone (on the other bank) looked very attractive too.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM

Hi, again, dmj,

if you look at a map, especially one with the bot routes on it, you'll see that it is easier to get around the resorts at the southern end of the lake, cos there are more of them and they are closer together.

the top end may be prettier, but it takes longer to get to [a factor in a short trip] and one you are there, there are fewer places you can reasonably get to.

hope this helps,

regards, ann