One Week In Germany: Any Suggs.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!<BR>I'm planning on visiting Germany in late March and staying for one week. Here's what I'm planning on doing:<BR>-Munich(arr. and dep. airport) to Bonn (aunt lives in Bonn)...<BR>-Bonn to Strassbourg...<BR>-Strassbourg to Salzburg<BR>-Salzburg to Munich.<BR><BR>I'll have a car, so traveling won't be much of a prob.<BR>Any suggs. on hotels in Strassbourg and Salzburg?<BR>Any suggs. on driving routes, too?<BR>Any and all suggs. would be totally helpful.<BR>Thx.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:48 AM

sixthlap - what are your interests? What's your budget? How long are you planning to visit your aunt? One week seems too short for your itinerary without spending lots of time in your car. How are you with jet lag? A car trip to Bonn right after you arrive might be too much - it would be for me. Can you squeeze any more time into your trip?
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Great questions.<BR>Well, I need to visit my aunt because I haven't seen her in years. But the other areas I don't have to visit. I wish I could stay longer, but I really don't have the time. Maybe I'll forego Austria and just enjoy Munich, Bonn, and Strassbourg.<BR>As far as budget, well, I don't want to spend more than $80/night for a room, but I will if it's a sweet place, ya know?<BR>Jet lag? I'll try to plan for that. I'm 7hrs behind, but I still tend to awaken when it's bright out.<BR>Thx.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:00 AM

As long as you aren't going to be in a city during some big event, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a room for well under 80 a night. We found doubles with private baths for under that amount everywhere we went.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thx.<BR>I've decided to forego Salzburg and instead just stick to Munich, Bonn, Strassbourg, and little places in between.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:16 AM

Why are you using MUC to get into Germany. FRA is much closer to Bonn. It's going to cost you about 3-4 hours extra. I'd recommend flying into or out of FRA. If you are set with MUC, spend one day in Munich and do Dachau. Do not attempt this the day you arrive. You will not appreciate what you are seeing and experiencing (I made the mistake some years back). Take a drive up the A7 autobahn and stop at some of the villages. Rothenburg is worth a 1/2 day. Since Bonn is on the Rhine, spend another day driving south on the Rhine. If you have time, spend a day on the Mosel from the Koblenz. That would drop you into Trier, which is the oldest city in Germany. From Trier, you can drive 30 minutes and be in Luxembourg City. That's worth a good 1/2 day. You could make it from Luxembourg to Strassbourg in about 3 hours on the autobahns. Strassbourg is a nice big French city. Spend the day wandering this place. Petit France is beautiful. On your way from Strassbourg back to MUC, head through the Black Forest. It's very pretty.<BR><BR>By the way, your itinerary is pretty short for such long distances. While the autobahns are great here, those are long distances you are going to be driving. Have fun.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

The main reason for Munich is because I'm picking up a BMW from the plant.<BR>Taking input from this site and friends, I'm now planning on going from Munich to Bonn and leaving from Cologne.<BR>Thx sooo much fellow travelers!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:54 PM

We picked up our BMW last June. My recommendations would be to spend the first night in Munich to get over jet lag and pick up the car first thing in the morning. Took a couple of hours -- they fed us, but nothing fancy. Then head for Bonn. <BR><BR>Strausbourg, Trier, and Luxembourg are excellent suggestions, then up the Rhine to Bonn. Maybe a stop in Bacharach for lunch and shopping. There's so much to do, you won't have the time in just 6 days.