Search

One week in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Croatia

Hello fellow travel enthusiasts,

In Mid-May, my friend and I are planning a one week tour through Croatia starting in Zagreb and ending in Split (we plan on renting a car). We are fast paced travelers, and want to see as much as we can in those 7 days.

For sure we want to see Plitvice lakes, Dubrovnik, Mostar (as a quick trip from Dubrovnik). We are not sure whether Split, Trogir or Zadar would be better. Also, we would love to spend a day on an Island, but are not sure which would be best.

If anyone has a good itinerary or any must see places that we are missing, please please please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 05:45 AM

We go to Croatia very year-- love it! If you love old world architecture, Trogir is amazing. Very hip-vibe with old world surroundings. Trogir is about 30-40 min from central Split. Central Split is nice to walk through; but if you are staying overnight, drive down to Podstrana (about 25-min from central Split) & treat yourself to a night at the Meridian hotel --right on a private beach.

For a day on an island, we loved Hvar. There is a hydrofoil from central Split to Hvar -- I think about an hour or so. Our other favorites in northern Croatia by the coast are Rovinj and Pula. They are very close together & we did both in one day. Pula has a Colosseum that took us by surprise -- since one only ever hears about the one in Rome!

Dubrovnik old town is very cool to see -- be sure to walk along the old fortress wall for great views over the water. However, there are lots of quick boat excursions available from the main harbour to beautiful little coastal places close to central Dubrovnik.

When in Zagreb -- stay in the heart of the city if you can. Great to walk around. Tons of cafe options. A fab! hotel is the Esplanade -- pricey but worth it. Great outdoor patio for drinks!

If you have time when in Zagreb, try to see Samobor -- very cute little town; pretty; hip. This is where the locals from Zagreb go on the weekends.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 07:41 AM

There don't exist "good" and "bad" Islands. Every Island is different. Choose just the Island which corresponds best to your interests (WE don't know them). Many Islands can be reached by frequent car ferries. Open http://www.jadrolinija.hr/ and http://www.rapska-plovidba.hr/ and check routes like
Valbiska (Krk) - Merag (Cres)
Valbiska - Lopar
Brestova - Porozina (Cres)
Prizna - Žigljen (Pag)
Drvenik - Sućuraj (Hvar)
Orebić - Dominče (Korčula)
Zadar - Preko (Ugljan)
Biograd - Tkon (Pašman)
Zadar - Brbinj -(Dugi otok
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM

If you go to Dubrovnik, take a cab ride up to the 1990's war museum. The museum was very interesting, but the view above from high above the old town was great.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Don't forget Istria and Pula and Rovinj cities. You can take ferry to Venice from both of the. We hav been visiting Croatia for the past 5 years and once you come to Istria you don't go back. We have found a lot of brochures, information and vidoes on this site: http://viakon.eu/brochures.html
Rovinj is one of the most romantic cities on the world and Pula with it's 2000 year old Colosseum is fantastic to visit. One of the best restaurants in Pula is "Nina" in the small fisherman village Banjole, 7-8 km out of Pula towards Premantura where is one of the most beautiful nature parks of it's kind, Kamenjak. Zagreb is beautifull as well but hotels are price so get apartment instead it is half price and much larger. Last but not least, Plitvice lakes is breathtaking BUT if you visit it in July you will stand in a long line unless you start very early.
Regards from Denmark
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Hey -

I am also spending a week in Croatia, however I will be travelling solo and am a 30 y/o guy. All I know is that I'm flying into Split and out of Dubrovnik a week later. I was just thinking of booking a hotel for 2 days in Split and then seeing where the rest of the week takes me, but now i'm not sure.

I will probably spend 2 nights in Hvar ( I hear that's the place to be to relax and have a good time).