Search

In a Hurry to Croatia...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a Hurry to Croatia...

Hi!

Need some help on finding good places to stay with my wife in Croatia (we are 25 year old and like modern and romantic places, secluded when possible):
. August
. 1/2 night Split
. 1/2 night Hvar
. 1/2 night Korcula
. 2/3 night Dubrovnik

Thanks a lot if you can reccomend a few spots!

ub44
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:56 AM

ub44,

I can only give you my observations based on our trip last September. We only stayed in two "real" hotels, the Bellevue in Split and the Hotel Asterea in Mlini. All the rest were Sobes or small places like the Villa Adriatica in Dubrovnik.

The Bellevue in Split was hot, old, cramped, noisy and overpriced. Nothing modern, secluded, or romatic about it.

The Asterea in Mlini was a big tourist place, catering to groups. It was reasonably priced, and a bit secluded as it was built into a hillside along the coast south of Dubrovnik about a 20 minute boat ride from the harbor of the old town. Nice walks along the seaside promenade, and only a short boat ride from Cavtat. The problem was it was full of tourists, and the breakfasts, which was the only meal we took in the hotel, were a mad cacophony as one scrambled at the buffet.

The Villa Adriatica, just outside the Pile Gate in Dubrovnik, was quite nice, and inexpensive. It was not very modern, but it was as secluded as one could expect, being so close to the old town and the port. We enjoyed it very much.

All the rest of our stay was in Sobes (rooms in private homes), in Hvar, Split, Korcula, and Makarska, and they varied in their seclusion. The price was right, but they had no claim on modernity. That was their charm.

Search the Croatia threads for other discussions on accomodations. I'm sure you will just LOVE Croatia.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

nukesafe

Thanks for the tips!

ub44
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM

At this late date, you will probably have to stay in SOBE, as everything else will be booked for August. (In Dubrovnik, the SOBE women will find YOU.) Our Sobe in Korcula was a modest apartment on the waterfront with a million-dollar view.

You might consider staying in Trogir instead of Split. If you leave Trogir in the morning for Hvar, you'll have time to check your bags in at the bus terminal's baggage claim in Split harbor, right next to the Hvar catamaran (which leaves at 5:00 PM these days, I think). That will give you time to walk around Split harbor and Diocletian's palace, which is a five-minute walk from there.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Hi
When we were in Croatia 2 yrs. ago, we stayed in Istria. We visited Poruc and Rovinj. There are two smaller, less crowded areas on the Adriatic. as it was part of Italy at one time, it is bi-lingual and the food is very good. Rovinj was especially nice and we enjoyed the cafes and watching the boats in the harbor. We drove the 7 hrs to Trogir, didn't like the crowds so we drove back again. When we were in Istria most of the tourists were Europeans. We stayed at a hotel with many facilities including ac and walked to Rovinj. Poruc is very similar. Not having been to Hvar, Split etc. I can't judge these places.
But Croatia is a beautiful place.