Reload this Page >

One night stop over between Vienna & Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 08:09 AM
AMG

I am looking for alternatives for a one not stop between Vienna and Budapest. My first thought is to spend one night in the Danube bend area instead of doing it as a day trip from Budapest. Can anyone suggest another town to stay in or maybe one to have lunch in on the way between the cities. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Aileen <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:00 PM
amg

Help <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:02 PM
eva

The direct highway is very quick,3-4 hours,depending on the border.I do not suggest the Danube bend area, no real good htl, and it is too close to Budapest.Stay in Sopron, you can check it on the map.You have to take a different road, via Eisenstadt.Wien -Eisenstadt takes 1 hour, you can stop there to visit Haydn's tomb,and Sopron is next to the border.It is the ONLY town in Hungary, never occupied and destroyed by the Turks, full of medieval buildings ,nice old city center.Best hotel is calledannonia Med,in the very heart of the city,other one is Hotel Sopron,just a bit lower level but a good one 10 min walking from the main square, and one more is Hotel Lover,on the the hill.Leaving Vienna early, you can be in Sopron by noon,time for exploring.There are good restaurants and mainly wine cellars.The best Hungarien red wine is from Sopron. <BR>If you have a car, next day from Sopron to Esztergom-nearest point of the Danube Bend area-,is an easy drive ,a bit more then 2 hours.If you are interested you ,can even stop in Pannonhalma,1000 years old monastry declared world heritage,even doing this you'll heve enough time to see the Danube bend as well.If you do not have a car, you have to take a direct train to Budapest,3 hours or so. <BR>P.S. Hungary is very very small. <BR>Eva <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:05 PM
e

tr

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:40 PM
amg

Thank you Eva. Sopron sounds perfect. I have been using www.nethotel to find hotels in Hungary. I do not see either of the hotels you recommend on the site. Do you know if they are on any web sites or if they have an email address. <BR>Aileen

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 01:53 PM
eva

I could find the following : <BR>www.hotelinfoplus.com.Click on Hungary and after it type in Sopron.All hotels are listed,with on line reservation.It is not a Hungarian firm,because e-mail here ends always with : hu, and never com.Tel and fax numbers are listed as well, so you can contact them directly. <BR>Number for Hungary is 36, and for Sopron 99 <BR>If you have any qustion regarding Hungary contact. <BR>Eva