france to milan..where to stopover

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Sydney

france to milan..where to stopover

We will be taking the train from Paris to
Milan and would like one place to stop for
a day and night in France or ? on the way, to break up the trip and also just to visit another small town along the way. Is Dijon on that route and worth stopping for? Anyother neat town?
Thanks for any input.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Rex

Dijon is not close enough to the midpoint (about 20% of this 12 hr trip).

Maybe Avignon or Aix-en-Provence. By distance, the midpoint is probably somewhere between these two, though by time (because the TGV is fast and the rest of the trip is not), the midpoint is a little past Aix-en-Pce.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Steve James

Hello Sydney,

My choice would be Annecy in the French Alps. Delightful lakeside town! Near enough half way...

Steve

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Rex

I agree that Annecy is first-rate; I was thinking more of the "obvious" car routing - - and not so much of the (various) train routing(s). I am not so much a "train guy".

If Annecy fits, it's a good choice. And though it would be a somewhat expensive taxi ride, some of the very best restaurants in all of France are in Talloires, about 20 minutes south of Annecy. And stunningly beautiful.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:33 AM
sydney

Thanks for the info...I will look up
info on Annecy..sounds wonderful.
Sydney

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Mary Ann

Last June, a friend and I traveled from Paris to Milan (then on the Venice) and spent two wonderful nights in San Remo, Italy. Lovely seaside town! We went to the market and bought our lunch, walked the "boardwalk" by the Mediterranean and took a 1/2 day trip to Monte Carlo. San Remo is a great stop over, I highly recomment it!