One night in Venice?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 05:28 PM
nico

One night in Venice?

We will be on our honeymoon and spending last night of our trip in Venice...we would like to end with the best night of the trip. We would appreciate any dining and lodging (200-300/night is fine) recommendations. Thanks...

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Carol

Nico, One night hardly seems worth it. Considering you have to take the vaparetto to your hotel and check in is usually mid afternoon you will have so little time to see anything before you have to head out the next morning. It is too amazing for just one night!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 12:42 AM
just

Nico

Go for it!!! If you don't do it, and never get to go again, you'll regret it. At least you can see what you can in one night.

Can't help with your question, but wanted to give support.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:38 AM
Karen

I have no personal experience (sorry to say), but my one perfect night in Venice would be spent at the Gritti. Perfect location on the Grand Canal, beautiful building.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Mike

Venice sounds like a wonderful choice for the final night of your trip! I don't think you'll regret spending part of your honeymoon there. For good suggestions from this forum, go over to the specific Italy section. Scroll through the posts or type in "Venice hotels" in the search bar. Enjoy...Venice is wonderful!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Boots

And toast the evening with a Bellini at Harry's Bar.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:52 AM
elaine

nico
you don't mention when you are going, many of the small and charming hotels
in Venice, even in your generous price range, book up months in advance
Try the Colombina hotel. It was fully-renovated about a year ago, I haven't stayed there but I've heard only good things about it, and it is very close to San Marco square. Some rooms have a view of the Bridge of Sighs.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:15 AM
chris

IMO Venice for any amount of time is worth it. I've been known to go into Venice for a few hours just for a pizza (while enroute from Zermatt to Cortina)! I do however, recommend that you try to find a hotel that is as complicated to get to as possible. eg. near a vaparetto stop or within striking distance of the car park/train station so you don't waste time hunting down your hotel. When I go I tend to stay near the train station because it is a quick walk from the car park and after dropping off my luggage (with wheels BTW) I can be out exploring this magical place within 1/2 hour and it is close and easy to the vaparetto stop. Now we tend to go somewhat budget but we did stay at the mid-range charming Hotel ai due Fanali 2 years ago (we recommended to a friend last year and they like it too), though it is a bit longer walk from the car park. www.aiduefanali.com

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:17 AM
chris

Oops, of course the above should have read as UNcomplicated to get to as possible.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Robin

One night in Venice is better than no nights in Venice any day!

I just know you'll LOVE it!!! It's positively one of my favorite cities. Very romantic and like no place else you'll ever go. Someone on this website made a post regarding "Jaw dropping sights" and this is truly one of them!

My husband and I flew to Venice from Boston for 4 nights last year because it was all the time we could manage to take off. We would have loved to have stayed longer but it's one of my most memorable vacations!! And if you think it's crazy to go such a long way for such a short time?..well we say MANY of the same people who flew over with us on the flight back so we're not the only crazys out there! My only complaint was that there were WAAAAAAAAY too many Americans when we were there. Hearing everyone speaking English all the time took away a bit of the old world charm.

I doubt these hotels are in your price range but they'd be perfect for a honeymoon. Maybe they might have a special or something??

We stayed at the Bauer. Very nice but very pricey. We did have a room on the canal but paid dearly for it. I thought it was one of the best hotel locations in Venice because it was on the canal but not in the noisy section. I believe the Gritti Palace is beside the Bauer and that is also lovely. Again, I think it's pricey but well worth it. The Danielli is also popular but I thought it might be a bit noisy because it's down in the hub of things.

I know you'll love it Nico!! Congratulations on your marriage!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Allan

Try and get a room at the Hotel Europe and Regina at the entrance to the Grand Canal - a three minute walk to St. Mark's Square. It is beautiful and a great location. Don't worry about getting a view on the canal. Spend the last night of your honeymoon sitting in St Marks square listening to the orchestras.