One night in Madrid

Search

One night in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One night in Madrid

My wife and I will be spending one night in Madrid during the middle of September. Can anyone recommend lodging & culinary which will really capture the 'Spanish essence' in such a short period of time.

We're hoping to come back to Spain next year, but for now we'll settle for a 20 hour layover in Madrid on the way home from Portugal.

We aren't at all interested in eating or sleeping at the place that "All Americans Love". We would very much like to feel as though we've really tasted Spain - at least a little bit !

Thanks in advance
David
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I'm American and stayed at the Palace and didn't love it if that helps at all. Very dated. Probably lots of authentic feel to it. Very central and nice public areas.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Unfortunately, my favorite hotel, where bullfighters often stayed, is being or has been turned into a Hard Rock Hotel.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

CSabia:

I guess I could have phrased that better. I'm not looking for a Holiday Inn or a Four Seasons or someplace that could just as easily exist anywhere else but happens to be in Madrid.

Hope that clarifies !

David
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I recommend the Hotel Villa Real and have dinner at Posada de la Villa.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM

It's been about 15 years but I will never forget the nights I spent at the Ritz; this ranks up there with my favorite hotels anywhere in the world. I have never before or since stayed in a hotel where it seemed as if the entire staff knew my name the first time I left the hotel after checking in. I think that conmpared with other classic luxury hotels in other European, or even Asian, cities the price is not exorbitant. I did not see many Americans when I stayed there.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Spain is many things, so capturing the "Spanish Essence" can come in many flavors. In Madrid you'll find one essence if you stay in the Salamanca district, another altogether different essence in old Madrid, but you'll also find that they blend together very well. For what you want, for one night, I'd recommend staying in the museum triangle where there are several great hotels to choose from.

The Hotel Wellington, where matadors often stay, would be an excellent choice (http://www.hotel-wellington.com/). It also has one of the best Basque restaurants in the city.

The Hotel Suecia would also be another good choice in tasting the essence of Madrid (http://www.hotelsuecia.com/).

Both the AC Palacio de Retiro and the AC Santo Mauro are very Spanish in flavor and two of the top hotels in the city (http://www.ac-hotels.com/).

For a somewhat less expensive taste of Madrid, you may want to check out Hostal la Macarena, of Hemingway fame, in the center of the city, near Puerta del Sol.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I would do a booking for dinner at Casa Lucio , maybe it's not the very best restaurant in Madrid, but is not very touristy and it's a typical one , sometimes , you can find our King there eating Casa Botin is also good but it's more known for the tourists.