Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > one more...Jeans/sneakers at all in Italy?

one more...Jeans/sneakers at all in Italy?

Aug 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

one more...Jeans/sneakers at all in Italy?

We are trying to decide if we should even pack them. We are going to Rome/Tuscany/Venice in October. I plan on bringing a couple of skirts/dresses and a couple of cropped pants and long pants. Fiance will be bringing dress pants and comfy leather walking shoes. Are jeans and sneakers at all acceptable? Will he need a sports jacket or suit for anything??
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM

Contrary to what others might say, I believe jeans and sneakeres are the norm, at least they were during my recent trip to Germany/Switzerland. At least 50% of the people/tourists were wearing jeans. Dress pants? Docker types will be just fine.

I would leave the sports jacket/suit at home unless you plan on dining at a restaurant that would require them. Very very few do.
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM

<Will he need a sports jacket or suit for anything??>

That depends on where you dine. While it is not necessary to seek fine dining that requires a sports coat in Italy to have a delicious meal, it is indeed an option.

I saw so many locals residents in jeans in Italy. Wear what you find comfortable and appropriate for the season.

Layering is the most important thing and wearing comfortable well broken in shoes.

Have fun, be comfy!
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM

You will undoubtedly see every conceivable color and type of shoe being worn in Europe including "sneakers" or sneaker-type shoes.

Denim is EVERYWHERE.
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

good to know thanks!
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM

Dejavu, anyone? Or am I the only one seeing double posts this morning, lol.

Must have more of my Earl Grey...
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM

Bring them if that's what you're comfortable wearing. I felt very good in a pair of stylish jeans in Italy.
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:56 AM

Uhhhh, now the double posts are gone, gotta love Fodors sometimes...

CAAA101406 ~ If you truly don't want to bring a sports coat for your honey, and would like some restaurant suggestions, click on my name and pull up our trip report. While my DH usually wears a sports coat here in the states, in Italy he did not, it just wasn't neccessary for us and we ate VERY well.

Best of luck.
Aug 21st, 2006, 06:16 AM

Jeans and sneakers are the norm in Europe. You probably won't bother to wear the other clothes unless you get a sudden inferiority complex.
Aug 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM

My Polish wife insists that I wear a coat and tie when we dine out. She has explained that it makes her feel special!The jean costumes seen on the street are just that; street wear. Meetings, theater, dinners or whatever require acceptable attire.
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM

"Meetings, theater, dinners or whatever require acceptable attire."

No, they don't. Jeans are fine. They are everywhere, no different than here in the US. One of the biggest myths about Europe is that all of the locals walk around in the latest fashions. Pure BS.
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM

Avoid sneakers during the evening. Jeans OK.
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:39 AM

bookmarking
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM

As long as you don't wear shorts ....
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

cropped pants OK in October?
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM

Wear any darn thing you feel comfortable with. I even wear shorts if the weather permits.
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM

norween... shorts probably aren't necessary in october but we sure saw many many people (women, men, kids) that had shorts on during the heatwave in July. In fact, in Florence and Venice everyone seemed to be very casual.
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:30 AM

I was thinking about "October"
And to say the truth, shorts are a sure way to identify tourists '(nothing bad i being a tourist - i' would be happy to be a tourist more often)
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM

We just started having the clothing discussion in our house, in preparation for our end-of-Sept./beg. of Oct. trip to the same parts of Italy. Lucky us, we visited Italy two years ago at the same time of year. Of course, the weather can be different from year to year, but here's what we did last time:

- My husband, who often wears shorts, did wear shorts quite a bit on that trip. I do recall feeling that he was the only person in Ferrara wearing shorts. He didn't mind.
- I wore long pants the entire time (except when I wore a skirt). I never wear cropped pants.
- We never take jeans because they are heavy and take up room in the bag and are not so versatile. Plenty of people wear them, though.
- On our last trip, we ate at a variety of very formal restaurants and very casual. Even at the most formal, there were women in pants (dress pants) and men without jackets/ties. My husband will probably bring a sports jacket, though, because if an evening is cool, it looks much better at dinner than his casual Gortex-type jacket. That's what he did last time.
- I usually take two skirts, because I'm a small person, and my clothes pack up small, so I have room for more clothes than some people (I take a 22" or 24" bag). But I rarely wear them much. This year, I'll take one skirt and one pair of dress pants. We tend to eat at a variety of restaurants for dinner, but I do like to wear something a little nicer than what I've worn walking around all day. But again, even in formal restaurants, a nice skirt is fine.
- Wear sneakers if you want; they are often the most comfortable for walking. And remember, you don't like there, you're a tourist, and unlike someone who lives there, you don't have a closet full of other shoes to switch into.
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM

Go with whatever you would wear here in the US. Jockstrap and a sailors hat if that suits your fancy. Who cares if you "look like a tourist". If you wish to avoid looking like a tourist than you will need a new wardrobe, cosmetic surgery, and to learn to speak the language of every country you plan to visit.

Relax, wear what you are comfortable wearing, be polite, and enjoy your travel.

Search this Thread