Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

one more day in Greece, which island would you choose to spend it on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -- my husband and I will be traveling to Greece in May 2007 using our air miles, so our options were limited, and we only could go for 8 nights.

We just received notification that our returning connecting flight was cancelled, so the airline asked if we would be willing to come home a day later -- we said "Absolutely!". This the first time to Greece for both of us and are excited to have another day/night there.

So, now we have to decide how to change our itinerary to accommodate having another night in Greece. This is our original plan...please let me know how you would adjust it (adding another day to which location and why??):

4 nights in Santorini (Iliovasilema Hotel)
2 nights in Mykonos (Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resport)
2 nights in Athens (Athens Marriott - we have points and are staying here for free).

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM

..add a day to Mykonos and use it to visit Delos. Don't add another island. This is a short trip and you loose at least half a day with each journey.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

We definitely weren't planning to add another island into the trip, but yes, I know that Delos is a day trip from Mykonos. Have you been to all 3 places? (Santorini, Mykonos & Athens) Is there a reason why you would suggest not spending the additional day/night in Athens or Santorini?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Yes, I have been to all three. We loved Santorini. We are quite adventursome and rented small motor cycles. It gave us mobility for the entire island. I think though that I wouldn't add a day to Santorini if it meant missing Delos. You have 2 nites in Mykonos. If you add Delos you still have only 2 days...one for walking around Mykonos town and another "beaching???"; Athens..I know a lot of people don't like it, but I did. However "old Athens" is quite small. I think only about 30,000 people at the end of the 19th century. You will have plenty of time for the Acropolis and the Agora. There is a museum not to be missed ..I can't remember its name but waas a museum of Archeologic treasures. However, these 3 things along with a dinner in the plaka (really tourist but there is at least 1 good taverna) ..it is just wonderful to glance up and see the Acropolis lit up as you are finishing your dinner..Oh by the way, I loved the hotel we stayed at in Mykonos. It was the Petassos Beach Hotel...really nice. We could walk (a good half hr) or take a bus into Mykonos town. If your plans aren't set in stone, you might want to look this up.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

The hotel you mentioned in Mykonos is a sister hotel to the Mykonos Grand, and we did consider it as well. I think Petasos was booked and that's why we went with the Grand.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM

The Grand is a great choice - the pool is spectacular, as is the breakfast buffet - more like a wedding feast - and the walk to Mykonos town (if you choose to not take the convenient bus) is an enjoyable 40 minute stroll.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone else have a suggestion whether we should spend our extra day on Santorini, Mykonos or in Ahtens? And why??
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM

How 'bout a final day -- after you've done the Acropolis-forum-Arch-Museum-Plaka -- as a mini=getaway... to Aegina? I recommend this IF your final day is a weekday -- then you don't et the Athens crowds.

I did it on impulse in 2005 when I had a day's delay of my Sifnos ferry,and it was just right. It can be a day-trip or stay-the-night & come back in the a.m. if your Flight out is noon or later.

Grab the Metro (.80c)to Piraeus, and take the first ferry to Aegina; just 1 hour or less. At the port, rent a scooter (or take a bus) to the Temple of Aphaia on a HIGH hill mid-island. It is the most perfectly preserved temple in Greece--- and the 360° view of Saronic Gulf is breath-taking. Back in Aegina Town, there's the "Temple of Apollo" (only 1 column left!) but a cute teensy museum with HUGE Pots. A small town beach right next to it.

If your schedule permits overnight u can find a room anywhere in town, in May, enjoy a final island sunset, and take the ferry back at 7 am or so & go straight to the plane.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM

I have spent a few minutes pondering your question and I tried really hard to come up with a straight answer and I cannot.

However:

1. I would not add the extra day to Santorini. It's an amazing place, we loved it, but (for us) even after 3 nights we were ready to move on.

2. Pros for extra day in Mykonos: we spent 2 nights there and wished for a third. 1/2 of first day was spent getting there - other 1/2 spent laying on Ornos Bay beach. 2/3 of 2nd day spent getting to Delos, thoroughly enjoying Delos and getting back. Other 1/3 spent wandering Mykonos town. Left fairly early next day for next island.

I do not regret what we chose to do with our time - but I do regret that we did not have the opportunity to rent a car and spend the day driving around the island as we did on other islands as part of our trip. That is one thing I would have changed about our marvelous trip - I would have spent one more night on Mykonos.

3. Pros for spending it in Athens: I LOVED Athens. We spent 3 nights there at the beginning: 1st day doing Acropolis, Ancient Agora, Temple of Zeus; 2nd day on a full day trip to Delphi; 3rd day doing Keramikos, Roman Agora. Plus plenty of wandering/cafe stops/shopping. Upon returning to go home, spent an additional night and toured the big museum (sorry, tired and can't remember the correct name for it - Archaological museum?)

I might put it this way - are you more interested in extra beach/water/ocean time? If so choose Mykonos. Due to our timeline it was a toss up whether we spent our full day touring the island (and potentially the "big" beaches) or touring Delos. Our rationale was that there were plenty of beaches in the world but maybe not so many islands full of ancient Greek ruins. And we LOVED Delos and never regretted our choice based on our framework. But would have loved to have not had to make the choice!

Or - Are you more interested in seeing more sights/museums/big city things to do? if so choose Athens.

Hope that helps.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I would also spend my extra night in mykonos. It's a beautiful island with lovely beaches and in May it won't be crowded.
I have been to Santorini several times but really after 4 nights i'm ready to leave too, so i definitely wouldn't suggest you to stay more there.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I think we will strongly consider staying our extra day in Mykonos. I just need to check on the ferry schedules. Does anyone happen to know if there are ferries going from Santorini to Mykonos on a Saturday, then from Mykonos to Athens on a Tuesday? The websites I've looked at thus far seem to still have 2006 schedules listed, nothing for 2007.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Myconos is a good choise . Some other suggestions axtra day in Athens then from Athens take the 3 island cruise Egina Poros Ydra. Start in the morning and come back early evening, with dinner at Lycavitos overlooking the entire city, or a day in Delphi coming back in time for dinner. Visit Athens archeological museum and our favorite small museum in Europe Banaki Museum.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Lucky you, my favourite destination. I would suggest having your extra day on the island of Hydra, it is very picturesque, compact little harbour and has no cars, only donkeys. There is a wonderful museum which you could cover in an hour, walks along the coast and quaint little alleyways and shops to explore.
Another suggestion would be to have one night in Vougliameni on the coast south of Athens and take the local bus to Cape Sounion and the temple of Poseidon, I did this on my last trip and really enjoyed the trip along the coast passing seaside suburbs and enjoying the view out to sea. Not only that of course but going public transport is the way to experience local everyday life. Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Re the ferries, Flying Cat 4 sails daily from Santorini to Mykonos except as noted in this timetable: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/. The two days in May it doesn't sail are both Wednesdays. There are daily ferries from Mykonos to Rafina and Piraeus. Although May timetables haven't been published yet, this is a popular route, and you will most likely have a choice of several ferries each day.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM

There is plenty to do in all three places.

Athens - good if you want more time to take in nearby attractions or visit museums etc. You can also visit nearby islands of Poros, Aegina or Hydra. Sounio isw a couple of hours by bus and is a popular trip. Dafni monastery is a few km from Athens. In Athens itself there is a lot to see. Obviously the Acropolis is a priority for most people, the Archaeological Museum is fantastic and Plaka is great to walk around. The Cycladic Museum is one of my favourites but isn't visited as often as the archaeological.
Mykonos - an extra day to relax sounds good, especially if you visit Delos on one of your days there. You could explore the island, visit a different beach or take a boat trip.
Santorini - lots to see and do. Archaeological sites and natural beauty.
Take your pick! I think I would go for Mykonos as first choice and Athens second.

Carolena
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Carolena,
After you mentioned it, the Cycladic Museum WAS my best kept secret.
G.