One final question-versailles

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Don

One final question-versailles

We will arrive in Versailles at around 1 PM on Saturday the 23rd of Sept with a Museum Pass that we will purchase before. Will there be long lines to get in at that time or can I avoid the lines. Will there be long lines to buy a ticket to the fountain show at 3:30?

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Pat

I think that the fountain show is just on Sundays. We were there in May; there was no line for the fountain show- you just walk through a gate into the grounds. There was , however, a mob of people at Versailles inside. We had a museum pass, and it is true you do not have to stand in much of a line to get in. Just go to the right door, I think it was the same one for group tours, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. If I were going to go again, I think I would pay extra for a guided tour, since I have heard that might be a less crowded way to do it. Honestly, the inside was so crowded that we did not enjoy it at all- we could not move an inch- like being on a subway at rush hour.I had been there a couple of other times, but this was really bad. The grounds were lovely and not crowded at all.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:32 AM
elaine

Fountains are supposed to be on on Saturdays from July 1 to September 30. Check the website for the most current information.
As Pat said, there is no separate ticket for seeing the fountains, they are part of the gardens and the gardens are open from about 7am to sunset.
Chateau remains open to about 6:30, last admission is 30 minutes before closing. It becomes much less crowded after 3:30 or so.
Museum Pass holders will have a special entrance at Versailles, entrance A2, it's on the right when facing the chateau. The acoustiguide and the maps are helpful, you can also buy a guidebook there.The self-guided tour takes at least an hour.
The guided tours in English are 60 or 90 minutes. The 90 minute version includes some of the kings' private apartments and the opera house, and is very good. Book tours early as they often sell out. They leave from entrance F.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 12:38 PM
Tammy

I was at Versailles on a Sunday in May and there was an additional fee (even with the museum pass) to go through the gardens because of the fountains running. My friend and I also took 2 guided tours, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and it was worth the extra cost. I whole heartedly agree with Pat, the public rooms (with the pass) were absolutely crowded. You couldn't enjoy anything without people all around you. I barely spent anytime in the Hall of Mirrors, I just wanted to be away from the crowds. The gardens on the other hand were fabulous and the fountains were spectacular with the classical music playing in the background. There's a lot to see at Versailles and arriving at 1pm might be pushing it a bit. Have fun.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Don

Thanks for info. There are fountain shows at 11 and 3:30 on Sat. and Sun. and it does take an extra ticket. That's why I was asking about the ticket line for that. If anyone knows about that I'd appreciate it.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Tammy

I don't recall there being a long line to buy tickets. As I remember there are several booths at the entrance to the gardens to the left of the palace. We bought the ticket when we first arrived and were able to go in before the fountain show, have lunch in the cafe there, come back for an afternoon tour and then go back for the fountain show. Just make sure and hold on to the ticket. Also, bring lots of film, it's wonderful!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 10:18 AM
greg

The 3:30pm fountain show have more fountains operating and lasts longer than the 11:00 fountain show. We went there in July and still no line to buy tickets to GET INTO THE GARDEN area for the fountain show. We got the ticket around 1pm. Because we did not want to walk all the way to the middle of the garden and back, we took shuttles (additional cost) to visit Hameau and Trianons and got off the shuttle close to the the middle of the garden and walked back while watching the fountains. We only looked at half of the fountains, We were too tired to visit the rest of fountains after visiting Hameau and the Trianons.