One Evening in Istanbul

Search

One Evening in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
One Evening in Istanbul

We're looking at an itinerary on Turkish Airlines in late November which includes an optional 20-hour layover on a Saturday in Istanbul. This intrigues me, as we once used a 23-hr layover in Madrid to delightful advantage. Our flight arrives at 1530 on a Saturday, and the connecting flight leaves at 1100 on Sunday morning.

After we clear immigration and customs, I'm wondering if there will be enough time in the evening to see a few of the major sights, such as the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome, the Grand Bazaar, the Bosphorus, and some of the city's neighborhoods. One concern is whether some of these locations close after a certain hour. Our arrival time doesn't fit with the free tour that the airline offers, so we'll probably hire a private guide for the evening.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations from you would be most welcome.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:15 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IME, most of the sites close too early for you to see them. That includes the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Grand Bazaar. The Hippodrome is an open space, so you could walk around it and see the exteriors of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia -- and I would certainly recommend that you do so! You should have no problem walking around some interesting neighborhoods (e.g., from the Hippodrome, across the Galata Bridge, and then along Istiklal Street) on a Saturday evening. You might be able to catch a commuter ferry across the Bosphorus, but be sure you know when you can return!

I'm not sure what you would gain by hiring a private guide for the evening, rather than simply heading out on your own.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response, kja!
This notion just arose tonight as I was perusing airline schedules for a trip we are planning, and I hadn't checked the individual sights' sites. Winter schedules will be in effect, meaning that these places close by 1700 or earlier.
I suppose that if we reserved a hotel near the Blue Mosque we could just take a taxi or shuttle from the airport and walk around on our own. Is it your impression that these areas are relatively safe to do so?
Any special sights that we should add? Any good restaurant recommendations for a taste of authentic Turkish cuisine?
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:17 PM
kja

"Is it your impression that these areas are relatively safe to do so?" -- I'm a solo female traveler and felt completely comfortable and safe in all the areas I mentioned, even after dark. Of course, I took normal precautions. But of course, no one can offer guarantees of safety. These are areas that are well lit and very popular, with lots of people around well into the evening -- or at least they were when I was there!

I trust that otherchelebi (our resident expert) will chime in with his comments and suggestions for a restaurant.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:33 PM
kja

I KNOW otherchelebi doesn't recommend staying or eating in Sultanahmet -- and you really should pay attention to whatever he recommends -- but FWIW, I thought the Hotel Sapphire met my needs very well:
http://www.hotelsapphire.com
You'll find my review on tripadvisor under KJA3

I enjoyed several meals as Pasazade:
http://www.pasazade.com
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Dave (and kja)

You should have no problems with the Blue Mosque since it is a house of worship and not a museum and mosques should stay open late at least until the lat evening prayers are finished (about two hours after sunset)

The Grand bazaar and the Spice Market close 6-7PM.

Staying at Sultanahmet for your one noght should give you more flexibility. Check the threads here and reviews (some possibly adulterated) on Trip Advisor for Sultanahmet hotels and if within your budget consider staying at the Four Seasons.

After visiting the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome and seeing Hagia Sophia from the outside, take tram just 3 stops to get off at Eminonu to take a boat up the Bosphorus. I recommend a regular commuter ferry if the schedule permits it. You buy a simple token to get on. Get off the boat at any of the following stops, depending on which Bosphorus ferry you're on :

Bebek, Cengelkoy, Emirgan, Yenikoy,

The ferry schedule for 2014 Fall-Winter will be available late September at www.sehirhatlari.com it also has an English version.

The piers I mentioned all have different types of excellent choices for restaurants with terrific views and good food. If you let us know, as the time gets close we can provide choices and alternatives for you.

By the time you have had your dinner, the traffic will have become less and taking a taxi back to your hotel will be easy, since there are no commuter ferries back to Eminonu in the evening. (You can also take a more expensive Seataxi if you wish)
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 02:20 AM

Two other Sultanahmet hotels with terrace restaurants are Uyan (uyanhote.com) and Nena (istanbulhotelnena.com), you could breakfast while enjoying wonderful views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya and the Sea of Marmara.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 02:20 AM

Two other Sultanahmet hotels with terrace restaurants are Uyan (uyanhote.com) and Nena (istanbulhotelnena.com), you could breakfast while enjoying wonderful views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya and the Sea of Marmara.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 02:21 AM

Sorry for the typo, its uyanhotel.com
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 03:05 AM

Dave we also stayed in the Sapphire. Nice place. Hopefully the parrot in the lobby is still chirping.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone!
This will really help us.
Now, the hard part for me is pulling the trigger on purchasing plane tickets this far in advance.
I must retreat and meditate on it...
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

<<Hopefully the parrot in the lobby is still chirping.>>
I never know if or when you are speaking in code, Cold.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:29 AM

No code this time Dave. There was a parrot in the lobby who seemed to like everyone, except the guy he bit.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, eric e! I appreciate your advice and that of the others! We're trying to put all of the pieces together for this trip. Economical (free) connection to Boston still needs to fall into place, and we'll go for it.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM
kja

I, personally, would place far greater faith in otherchelebi's advice than that of a new poster who promotes a specific travel website. Just my opinion....
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As kja says, erice's post is highly suspect. I wouldn't even click on the link.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! No problem.
I'll fill everyone in on our plans when they are complete, and let you know how things went after that.

Cold & kja: The Sapphire looks good to me! We recently stayed at the Fajardo Inn in Puerto Rico, which also had a parrot in the lobby. I love talking animals!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM
kja

Oh, dear... I hadn't wanted to question it, but I think maybe the parrot has departed. I wasn't fortunate enough to make its acquaintance in 2012, but maybe I was unconscionably inattentive. So please, don't go on the assumption that there will be a parrot to greet you at the Sapphire -- just be glad if there is!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

No parrot?! Oh, no!!
I may have to cancel the entire trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -