One day two nights in Amsterdam.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Unfortunately we only have two nights and one day in Amsterdam. We are going to see Anne Franks's house. We are a couple from Australia in our 50's and wonder what else we have to see or do? Or where should we eat that will show us Dutch food. We will wander along the waterways should we do a boat trip? Staying right in town near the train station. Any ideas please.
Thank you
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If the weather is nice, Vondelpark is beautiful. I never had "dutch food". Amsterdam seemed a mix of everything. I had some very good Greek, Italian, etc.

I was only there for 5 days but a canal boat tour is one thing I did not do, that I wish I had. I also got a kick out of the Erotica museum near the train station, though your mileage may vary on that one. One evening in Leidseplein square seeing street performers (a duo of fire dancers) was my most exciting unplanned, unexpected experience.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Boat tour of canals. Yes!
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM

I spent two weeks there (biz trip) a year ago and never was able to find any dutch food even though I asked around. But never fear there is fantastic food in Amsterdam from Thai to Greek to Italian and more. There was a great Uruguayan steak house but I cannot remember the name.

* Rikhs Museum, Picasso Museum, Heineken Brewery tour
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I ended up at the Tropenmuseum because it was raining one day. Strangely weird and fascinating place.

The food most often recommended to be the thing to try in Amsterdam is the Indonesian "rice table" or Rijsttafel. Amsterdam has many Indonesian restaurants featuring it.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
GBC

We took the canal boat tour and enjoyed it.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Canal walks can be nice especially in the area called Jordaan. Canal boat tours are nice to. I believe you can get boat tours along Damrak Street as you walk away from the central train station towards Dam Square. The Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a pretty nice restaurant that serves good food. This hotel is just behind the Royal Palace at Dam Square.