Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One day to Positano and Capri round trip from Rome???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have only one day to see both Positano and Capri, and are coming from Rome.
Here is my plan:
- rent a car and pick it up near the Rome train station at 6:00 pm on a Mon. ( Isn't this on the double-deck tour bus route?)
- leave early am for Positano and Capri on Tues. . Which location first?
- return in evening to Rome
- return rental car at FCO on Wed am before catching flight home.
I will have a GPS and not fearful of driving.
Is this even possible? I looked into getting a car and driver and the cost for the 2 of us is high.
Please help!!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM

I don't think you can do it, but even if you could, I don't think a car woud be the way to do it.

When are you going? The date? Is it a weekend?

Have you checked out a bus excursion?

Could you possibly go to Sorrento Monday night by train? Get up the next morning, take the ferry to Capri? Go to Positano at the cocktail hour and stay until the sun goes down, go back to Rome via train from Sorrento?

As for the driving plan are you can get a car rental for that short period with that drop-off arrangement, and do you drive stick shift? Where are you going to park this car in Rome overnight?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I have to be in agreement with Zeppole. I think it has the makings of one incredibly long and stressful day. I suspect you are not appreciating just how long it takes to do the drive and the driving conditions themselves in Italy (from someone who has done a lot of driving in Italy).

I really like the idea of catching the train down the night before. If you are trying to do it as a day trip because you have already paid for your accommodation in Rome that night, I would still go for paying for an extra night at a cheaper Pensione down there anyway. It will be money well spent in the end. Or, as previously said, look at a one day bus tour.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM

I agree with the above, not really feasible for an enjoyable day trip. What time of year will this be? I would never drive on the Amalfi Coast having been there in Sept 2007. The roads are VERY windy, with buses going around hair pins (and sometimes the buses have to back up on the highway to allow another bus by)...

I would check out a tour. Even then I dont think you can or should do both in one day. It just takes too much time logistically and you will spend the whole day in transit rather than enjoying the two places. I would save it for another trip and enjoy Rome on this trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with the others. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive from FCO to Positano. I did it in 2002 - although it took us 6 hours (via Sorrento) because of an unexpected detour in Naples due to a wrong turn (pre-GPS & a long story). So assuming you drive straight there & turn around & drive straight back, that alone is 7 hours of steering wheel time. That doesn't leave you much time to see the towns on the coast, much less a ferry to/from Capri.

Ian
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Hi Julie - I wouldn't do it by car. Logistically it is feasible (- with an early start by train from Rome) - but it would be a VERY long day (15 hrs+).

If you can do it as an overnight, so much the better ...

Steve
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi JJ,

A: I think that trying to do both in one day is contraindicated. Choose one.

B: Doing it by car is probably the worst way. Where will you park?.

C: if you really have to do it, I suggest taking the train to Naples - the no 1 tram from the train station to the docks - the ferry or hydrofoil to Capri - the ferry or hydrofoil to Positano - the SITA bus or ferry to Salerno and the train back to Rome.

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM

I totally agree with the other posters. Your assumption is that all will go according to plan. In Italy, that often isn't true. On top of what's already been said, sometimes the ferry/hydrofoil encounters delays and cancellations, even on beautiful sunny days. I speak from experience!

Save Positano and Capri for another time when you can really enjoy and savor each place. After all, that's what makes both those destinations so magical.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! You've given me a lot to consider. I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts. I have learned much from your advise on this and other topics; so I respect your opinions.

Zeppole:
I am going to be in Rome from early am Sun. 6/14 - Wed.6/17.
My plan is to take my 18 yr. old daughter on the tour buses in Rome (the ones where you can get on and off) on Sun. and Mon. Possibly a guided tour of the Vatican and Sistene Chapel Mon am.
Tues. is the day I was considering to see south of Rome. (I was in Italy last summer and never saw this area.)
I looked into an automatic through Autoeuropa for 85 euros for 2 days. The pick-up place is the Stazione FFSS Rome Termini Mon 6:00pm. (if this is the train station stop on the city tour bus line, we can easily get there).
The drop-off place is the airport on Wed. am.
As far as parking the car in Rome, I have prepaid (through Hotwire) hotel accomodations in Rome West (same beautiful 4 star we stayed in last summer for a great price, $100/night. The hotel is the Melia Roma Aurelia Antica Hotel.) The parking is free and they have shuttles to & from central Rome.

The bus excursions I have looked into so far all have Pompeii included. Pompeii sounds wonderful to me, but I am traveling with a teenager, that I know will be "maxed out" on ruins, by this time. Any bus excursions known that don't include Pompeii? I will have to see Pompeii on another trip to Italy.
We are first seeing Barcelona for 2 days, then an 8 night cruise from Barcelona to Rome. I do realize that this entire trip is only giving her a glimpse into so many fabulous areas.

Your idea of the train is interesting to me. How early can one be taken to Sorrento from Rome? Ira suggested a train from Rome to Naples? Is this the same? How long the travel time?

I do realize that all of you are discouraging me from attempting the drive to both locations in one day. Am I crazy to attempt to do one via train? Which one is recommended?

I am grateful for your help.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The train goes to Naples (90 minutes - the earliest fast train at 7:25) where you would have to change to another train to get to Sorrento (70 minutes). There are earlier trains, but travel time takes longer.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM

I believe there are plenty of bus excursions to Capri, but I don't know if they include Positano.

I would discourage you from attempting to do this by train. But most of all you are very much underestimating the difficulties of driving in Rome, and of parking at the ferry docks in Sorrento and then returning to them from Positano.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Hi Julie - Bus excursions to Capri from Rome are 2-day trips and don't include Positano.

I don't know why Zeppole advises against doing this by train. IMO (- as a day-trip) train is the best way to go.

As already said, it's an extremely long day - dawn start and late return - but it can be done. Here's how I'd do it -

ROME-NAPLES (- train):
- dep. Rome 06.27 (IC) or 06.45 (ES)

(- tram No. 1 or taxi to Naples dock (Napoli Beverello)

NAPLES-CAPRI (- hydrofoil)
- Dep. Napoli Beverello:

- 09.10 (Snav)or
- 09.30 (NLG Jet) or
- 10.00 (Neapolis)

(- timetables subject to change, but departures are frequent).

You then have 5-6 hrs in Capri for lunch and exploration
- e.g. Monte Solaro chairlift, Marina Piccola, Capri town ...

Take afternoon ferry Capri-Positano:

CAPRI-POSITANO
- dep. 16.25

You should have time for a half-hour stop at Positano, then catch the last ferry Positano-Salerno.

POSITANO-SALERNO
- dep. times not yet available (- check before departure)

Finally,

SALERNO-ROME (- train) - dep.

- 19.35 (IC) (- arr. Rome 22.40) or
- 20.42 (ES) (- arr. Rome 23.15

Alternatively you could just plan a day on the Amalfi Coast and exclude Capri (- or on Capri and exclude Positano)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Steve,
You are amazing! All the detail! I can't thank you enough for all your help!
Looks like I have some good options.

Thanks again to everybody for your contributions!
This talk forum is wonderful!