Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast honeymoon help - Itinerary and hotels...lots of Q's :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm getting hitched really soon and planning out the honeymoon! For a portion of our honeymoon we're going to head to the Amalfi Coast. I'm in charge of putting together the itinerary, so I wanted to plan something nice that would bring a smile to my future-wife's eyes. I've done a lot of digging around on these forums and found some great information.

We're early 30's and quite active (stairs shouldn't be a problem). I've decided that Positano fits our travel purposes best. Ravello sounds beautiful, but it will probably be a bit too inconvenient for us to travel around and Sorrento doesn't quite have the romantic charm of being on the Amalfi Coast. I debated Amalfi for a little while, but I think Positano would be a nice choice. Since this is our first time to the Amalfi Coast, I opted out from considering places like Praino and Ischia. Right now, I'm leaning towards booking a deluxe room with seaviews and a jacuzzi terrace at the Punta Regina. Tripadvisor has some good reviews but there isn't much talk about the Punta Regina on these forums. I know the fodor's favorites are Le Sirenuse and Il San Pietro, but they're a bit out of our budget. I also saw that the Marincanto, Le Agave, Villa Franca and Eden Roc all get a lot of mention on these boards as well. Does anyone have any opinions on the Punta Regina. Since my booking is so last minute they've offered me a great deal which basically puts it into the same price range for any of those above hotels' regular standard/superior rooms with sea views. The Deluxe with jacuzzi with pano views would be a nice step up. Anyone have any advice on the Punta Regina

Also, what do you think about this for an itinerary? We will be arriving in Rome, spending a day there and then heading down to the Amalfi Coast for 4 days / 3 nights, then returning to Rome for a night before flying to Athens for the Greek islands. I was debating these two itineraries.

Itinerary 1
Day 1: Arrive in Rome
Day 2: Rome
Day 3: Early express train to Naples, local train to Pompeii, store luggage at train station, visit Pompeii for a couple hours, local train to Sorrento, bus or ferry to Positano, spend evening relaxing in Positano
Day 4: Day trip to Capri & Sorrento. Morning ferry from Positano to Capri (unless there's weather restrictions then bus). See blue grottos and explore Capri for half a day. Ferry to Sorrento and spend afternoon and dinner in Sorrento.
Day 5: Day trip to Ravello and Amalfi. Bus to Ravello, spend 2-3 hours in gardens enjoying the view. Bus to Amalfi and walk around. Return bus or ferrry to Positano.
Day 6: Spend morning relaxing in Positano. Begin return to Rome, take ferry to Sorrento and train to Naples. Store luggage at Naples train station and explore Naples for pizza and to see museum. Express train to Rome and spend night
Day 7: Flight from Rome to Athens

Itinerary 2
Day 2: Rome
Day 3: Early express train to Salerno, Ferry into Positano so we can be in awe at the beauty of arriving to Positano by Ferry. Spend the day exploring Positano
Day 4: Day trip to Capri & Sorrento. Morning ferry from Positano to Capri (unless there's weather restrictions then bus). See blue grottos and explore Capri for half a day. Ferry to Sorrento and spend afternoon and dinner in Sorrento.
Day 5: Day trip to Ravello and Amalfi. Bus to Ravello, spend 2-3 hours in gardens enjoying the view. Bus to Amalfi and walk around. Return bus or ferrry to Positano.
Day 6: Begin return to Rome. Take early ferry to Sorrento and train to Pompeii, store luggage and walk around Pompeii for a few hours. Local train to Naples. Store luggage at Naples train station and explore Naples for pizza and to see museum. Express train to Rome and spend night

I know both these itineraries are a bit rushed, any advice? I'm trying to balance making the most out of being in the Amalfi Coast with still keeping it somewhat relaxing. I've decided not to go to Paestum because we're going to Athens. I wish there was time for Ischia, the thermal waters look really cool and it looks beautiful. Any advice? Am I rushing things too much...am I going to have trouble with Positano as a base point for day trips? Thanks everyone in advance.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM

I think the Punta Regina is a great choice.

I would go to Positano on arrival day and save Rome for later---no need for 2 hotel stays. I would train as far as Naples and hire a driver to Positano.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Oh yes, here are some shots at Positano and the AC.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Trying to ease up your travel day to Rome, taking into consideration that often hotel rooms aren't available until the afternoon. This also puts you in Rome when you might not be jet lagged (assuming you are from North America:

Day 1: Arrive in Rome; train to Naples; have pizza for dinner; sleep in Naples
Day 2: Visit museum in morning; local train to Pompeii, store luggage at SCAVI entrance, visit Pompeii for a few hours; local train to Sorrento, bus or ferry to Positano; spend evening relaxing in Positano
Day 3: Day trip to Capri & Sorrento. Morning ferry from Positano to Capri. Ferry to Sorrento and spend afternoon and dinner in Sorrento.
Day 4: Day trip to Ravello and Amalfi. Return bus or ferrry to Positano.
Day 5: Spend morning relaxing in Positano. Take ferry to Sorrento and train to Naples. Express train to Rome arriving late afternoon; sleep in Rome
Day 6: Rome
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
ekc

Considering BTN's advice, I amend my prior response to your post on TA. Itinerary #2, but train to Salerno immediately upon your arrival and save all of your Rome time for the end of the Italy portion of your trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob! The photos look great, excited to go there. We're flying from Los Angeles and have never been to Italy. We figure we should stay one full day in Rome since we're arriving that first day at 9:45pm. We figure with the long flight and jetlag, it might be better to put Rome at the beginning and to use it for a catch up day before traveling down to the Amalfi Coast.

Thanks for the assurance on the Punta Regina. What do you think between the two itineraries? How much time do I save by a private driver to Positano versus local train/bus. I imagine it's a lot more expensive. I read on one of these posts that if I train to Salerno and ferry it's almost as quick as a private driver and just as easy.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Ellen and ekc - Thanks for the replies, it helps to have more insight! That first day we don't arrive until 9:45 PM (21:45), so the earliest we'd make it out of Rome would be a morning express train on Day 2. I figured the Amalfi Coast would be the highlight of the Italy portion of the trip, so I thought it would be better to spend time in Rome at the start and be jetlagged there? Having said that, do you still think it's better to put Rome at the end of the trip?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
ekc

OK, the first night in Rome makes more sense, but I would still get the first train to Salerno the next morning, with your itin looking more like this:
Day 2: Early express train to Salerno, Ferry into Positano. Spend the day exploring Positano
Day 3: Day trip to Capri. Morning ferry from Positano to Capri (unless there's weather restrictions then bus). See blue grottos and explore Capri for half a day. Ferry back to Positano and spend afternoon and dinner in Positano.
Day 4: Day trip to Ravello and Amalfi. Bus to Ravello, spend 2-3 hours in gardens enjoying the view. Bus (or walk down) to Amalfi and walk around. Return ferry to Positano.
Day 5: Begin return to Rome. Take early ferry to Sorrento and train to Pompeii, store luggage and walk around Pompeii for a few hours. Local train to Naples. Store luggage at Naples train station and explore Naples for pizza and to see museum. Express train to Rome.
However, if this is your first trip to Italy, I would skip Pompeii and Naples and go directly back to Rome, since you really only have 1 day in Rome otherwise.
Day 6: Explore Rome.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

EKC thanks! Can I ask what the benefit of seeing Rome at the end of the trip is versus the beginning of the trip? This is the first trip to Rome and I realize that there isn't enough time to see everything. Wouldn't it be better to be jetlagged during Rome and well-rested to enjoy the Amalfi Coast? What are the benefits to saving Rome for the end?

Thanks...just trying to sort out what works best for us
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM

I would do the whole daytrip to Capri and not include Sorrento. A half-day trip to Capri doesn't give you much time there by the time you get there and get back. I'm not saying Sorrento isn't nice (I spent five nights there), but I would stick with just Capri that day.

When you arrive by train in Sorrento, if you can't afford the private driver (I couldn't! ), you can get the bus to Positano right from the train station. If you decide to take the ferry, you will first have to take a bus down to the shore.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
ekc

Rome can be overwhelming, even without jetlag, so I like to leave it to the end of my trips to Italy. Positano will be very nice for getting over jetlag, as you will be walking around and getting lots of sunlight - two good jetlag cures. Were you able to get the Alitalia non-stop from LAX? No matter how you slice it, the flight over is a killer (I live in Oregon) and I would rather recover in a relaxing gorgeous town, than in the crazy city of Rome (and I love Rome!).
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, thanks for the perspective ekc. Initially I just wanted to make the most out of the Positano/Amalfi Coast and not be tired there. You and the previous posters have given me something to think about. My flight has a stopover in London (BA) so it'll be a long one!

On a sidenote, I just got back from a trip to Portland. It's awesome there, good food and fun people.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
ekc

Another point is that you will only have 1 day in Rome, so you will be packing ALOT into that day, so you will need to be in top form to be able to digest even half of what you see.

The stopover in London isn't too bad - at least you can still understand what everyone is saying! And BA treated us pretty well when we flew from Seattle in 2009.

Glad you liked Portland - we think it's pretty good too!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I do not have the details, but I am told that the Metro del Mare ferries no longer run from Salerno in 2011. Who has more info?