One day in venice

Jan 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Scott

One day in venice

We will be in Venice in late June for one long day--arriving at 7:15 A.M. and departing at 2300.

If you had one day in Venice and have never been there before, how would you spend your time?

Jan 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Diane

Ride Vaporetto #1 from the start all the way to the end and then come back to St. Marks Piazza. Visit St Marks. Walk from there to the Rialto Bridge. Cross it and explore the marketplace, shops, have lunch at Le Cugnai, explore some more and shop some, find a place for dinner (generally, I'd say steer clear of most of the places along the Grand Canal...there are some excellent suggestions on this forum and in rants and raves). You may or may not want to head back to St Marks to catch the dueling orchestras at night before dinner, it is up to you.

Jan 8th, 2002, 02:53 PM
xxx

I feel like quite a kill joy saying this to you, but for me, the two best times of the day in Venice are 2200-2400 and 0600-0800.

An ideal short trip to Venice begins before noon and ends not much sooner than 30 hours later, so as to catch both of these good time windows.

No way you can re-think your time there?

Jan 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Dayle

Scott, if you would like to see a little art & the inside of one of the plazzos, stop & see Ca d'Oro Museum. You can spend as long as you like on the outstanding art collection, but you also get to see a wonderfully restored water level courtyard & what those beautifully mysterious plazzos look like inside.

Jan 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
dan woodlief

I would absolutely spend all the time outside, to avoid lines and because this is the best part of Venice anyway. Spend an hour walking around Piazza San Marco during the day, take the #1 or #82 vaporetto up the Grand Canal (the second one makes fewer stops but does the whole trip), stand on top of the Rialto Bridge for a great view of the canal - a must (the Accademia bridge view is great too), and spend the rest of the time wandering the backstreet neigborhoods. Pick either the Dorsoduro side or perhaps Cannaregio (my favorite). Say goodbye by sitting on the Piazza again after dark and listening to the bands play. On the way out ride back up the canal for a night view. With one night, I wouldn't even worry about food too much. Pick a convenient, nice romantic spot and enjoy. A good convenient one that is in a wonderful location is Ristorante Da Raffaele. You can see a photo of it in my Venice gallery at www.oneeyed.homestead.com. It is maybe a ten minute walk from the piazza.

Jan 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Judy

Buy a day pass for vaporetto,whenever tired of walking, just hop on a waterbus to other spots.

one of the best spots to see whole skyline of Venice is from the tower of S.Giorgio Maggiore,3 minutes boat ride from S.Marco accross Grand Canal.

If you only have time for one church,Church Frari is a must.

Jan 9th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Scott

Great advice so far. Any other opinions?

Jan 11th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Rod Hoots

American Express has a reasonably priced package starting at 4 PM from their office near Piazza San Marco that includes a guided tour of the beautiful Frari church and then a group gondola ride. It's fun and lot's cheaper than a private gondola ride. When you finish it will be time to sit in one of the cafes in the Piazza, listen to an orchestra and enjoy the colors and crowd changing as the sun sets. Pay the price to sit at a table and have a cappucino - it's a once in a lifetime experience. Then find a neighborhood restaurant for dinner. Sounds like you're on a cruise - if so, you can catch the #1 ferry from the cruise ship dock and also return on it.

Jan 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
tigger

I don't know why you'd want to spend any more time than a day in the most overrated city in the world

Jan 11th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Cass

St. Marks Basilica, Florian's on St. Marks square for hot chocolate, up the Campanile on the square for the view, lunch, the Accademia, vaporetto no.1 from Accademia up the Grand Canal to Rialto, views from the bridge, gondola ride at dusk or in the dark, strolling round the little canals, then dinner! It beats Paris for romance HANDS DOWN.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:25 AM
colin atter

These all sound great.

Perhaps I can ask your advice too?

I am taking my girlfriend to Venice for the first time 9-15 Feb.

Any hints and tips about where to celebrate Valentines would be much appreciated.

Also, I understand that there is a carnival while we are in Venice. Anyone been before? Do we need costumes? What is the format e.g. street parties / balls etc?

Your help and time are much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:50 AM
elaine

Hi
The following one-day itinerary for Venice appeared in the Fodor’s Europe message forum in July 2000, written by Venice expert Paulo and annotated by me. If you want the pure Paulo version, you can do a search here for it.
"At that time I already knew Venice very well, so I didn't exactly do what 9 out of 10 daytrippers to Venice do: to take #1 vaporetto from the Ferrovia (train station) to San Marco ... Instead, we started our stroll right at the train station. We crossed the bridge over the Grand Canal, strolled through the Sestiere of San Polo, to Campo S. Giacomo dell'Orio and on to Campo San Polo, visiting both churches on the way. (Elaine’s note: The San Polo church has some masterpieces by Tiepolo, Veronese, and Tintoretto.) From there, a stroll to Campo dei Frari (church visit) and Scuola San Rocco (visit). (Elaine’s note: I would skip the Scuola San Rocco, despite the Tintoretto treasures, in fact, I would, reluctantly, not visit any museums if I only had one day in Venice.)Then on to Dorsoduro, via Campo San Pantalon,Campo Santa Margherita (snack lunch), Campo San Barnaba to the Accademia Museum (no visit), across the Accademia bridge and into the sestiere of San Marco. (Elaine’s note: Before crossing the Accademia Bridge, and depending on the time you have, I would walk farther south into Dorsoduro to visit the Salute Church. Or skip it, wander a bit, and head back to the Accademia Bridge.) When we got to see the Piazza and Basilica it was almost 3pm!!! (Elaine’s note: if you have time, by all means go to visit the inside of the Basilica and/or the Doge’s Palace in the Piazza.) We got to visit the Basilica, rested and had drinks/coffees at Cafe Florian and went for some shopping. In the evening, we took vaporetto #1 back to the train station. (Elaine's note: the snacks and drinks at Florian's or at Quadri on the Piazza are not cheap, and there is an extra charge when the band is playing, but you just can't not do this at least once, if not every day.)

Elaine’s note: There is another, more detailed, one-day itinerary for Venice included in Steinbicker’s excellent book Daytrips Italy. See also www.veniceword.com for another suggested one-day visit.