Flying to Venice

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:39 PM
joan

Flying to Venice

My husband and I are considering a cheap flight to Venice from Stansted with RyanAir in mid February. We only have three days (2 nights) altogether so want to spend as little time as possible travelling. Can anyone give me an idea of which airport would be better -Treviso or Breschia?
I'd also like to see the historical places like the Doge's Palace and the Rialto - any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels nearby?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Rex

Treviso is definitely closer, at about 30-40 minutes. Brescia is over 30 minutes, just from Verona - - so 90-120 minutes from Venice.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Bob

The hotel Al Gambero is nice and reasonably priced. Located on Calle dei Fabbri between the Rialto bridge and St Marks. Rooms small but recently remodeled and very clean.

Jan 24th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Steve James

Hello Joan,

There was a bus service from Treviso Airport to Venice connecting with Ryan Air flights when I flew there last year. Very convenient.
Alternatively Treviso-Venice is about 20 mins. by train.

Steve

P.S. I believe I saw Ryan Air baggage allowance has recently been reduced to 15 kilos. I believe they charge £4-5 per kilo excess, - something to bear in mind.

Jan 24th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Jenny

Joan,

Have you tried looking at 'Go', also from Stansted? We went with them (very cheaply) last Easter, and they fly into Marco Polo airport, which is just a 45 min ride on the water bus away from San Marco (which was lovely in itself!).

Also, if you book with Go, they have a partnership with a company called HotelConnect who seem pretty reasonable. We stayed in the Hotel Gallini - pretty cheap by Venice standards, which was adequate, not luxurious, but very clean, and in a good location, with helpful staff.
If you want any more info, please feel free to email me direct.

We're also off to Prague next week on a similar deal, with Go & HotelConnect, so it can't have been that bad!

Websites are: www.go-fly.com
and
www.hotel-connect.com (or click on the 'extras' part of the Go website - gives you a better idea of prices.)

Hope that helps somewhat,
Jenny

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Colin Atter

Like Joan, I too am flying from Stansted to Venice in February so I found your comments very helpful.

Can I also ask your advice on another two topics?

I'm taking my girlfriend there 9-15 Feb, any hints and tips on where to celebrate Valentines would be much appreciated!

Also, I understand that there's a carnival while we're there. Can anyone give me advice on where to find a programme of events? do we need to wear costumes? Are there any street parties or events which are free of charge?

Thanks

Colin.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Rex

Not just "a" carnival - - THE Carnevale - - as in Mardi Gras, in other cities around the world.

Feb 1-12 - - see http://www.carnivalofvenice.com for more info. Hotel rooms almost surely go at a premium, and I feel certain that they are harder to get. Hope this doesn't mess up your plans.

Best wishes,

Rex