L'orangerie Museum in Paris

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Ed

L'orangerie Museum in Paris

I will be in Paris in a few weeks. Is the L'orangerie museum in Concorde still closed for renovations? I have heard conflicting answers. Thanks

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:12 PM
Howard

I believe it will be closed until sometime next year.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:04 PM
alex

You may wish to enjoy Musee Marmottan, 2 Rue Louis-Boilly, in the 16th. The Impressionism collection is centered around Claude Monet whose son was a major donor. Houses "Impression Sunrise" which gave rise to the name of the movement. Also, waterlilies, wisteria and willows. Works by Corot, Sisley, Gaugin, Renoir, Pissarro and others. I recall that it owns the second largest collection of Impressionism paintings, behind the d'Orsay. Beautiful setting.

Jan 24th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Fred

Still closed. If you want to see Monets, go to Musee Marmottan - beautiful museum in old restored house with many original Monets. Head downstairs to see them - if you like Monet you'll love this place. 2 rue Louis-Boilly - Metro: La Muette For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Bob Brown

Musee Marmotton is in an upscale western arrondissement of Paris, #16, and reachable on the Metro with a short walk through a nice park. I recall that the stop was La Muette.

There are quite a few Monet paintings there. One interesting aspect of the paintings on display is that you can see where Money redid the same scene several times while he was searching for just the right tones. You can see where he experimented with light and color to get just the right blend. For art lovers, I think it will be fascinating to see how he adjusted and tried new ideas over and over until he hit on one that was superior.
The whole museum is interesting.
It is a private museum and does not follow the Carte Museum schedule of admissions, i.e. you pay to get in.

I recall signs pointing the way, but the streets in that section of Paris are at odd angles, so a street map is not a bad idea. It is also an interesting section of the city to wander around in.

I think you will enjoy your visit. We went on a Sunday morning in September and the crowds were not severe.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Michael

Dear Ed:
Hello and Bonjour. Sorry to say, but the Orangerie will be closed until sometime in 2004! Seems incredible that it will take what amounts to nearly 4 years to renovate this place. The first signs all said 2002, but then over the summer scaffolding went up, covering the roof. It's possible they found some unexpected structural problems. They have been working away on the place when I have passed there, making lots of noise.
Anyway the signs that went up at the end of the summer stated a reopening date of 2004.
Hope this won't interfere with your plans too much. As people have told you the collection at the Marmottan is a very interesting collection, if you like Monet. There are other artist to see there as well. They have a very nice collection of work by a woman Impressionist, Berthe Morisot (She was the wife of Manet's brother), and works by fellow Impressionist not often seen. Have a fun trip.
Sincerely,
Michael