One day in rome. Site-sequence?

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:56 PM
andi

One day in rome. Site-sequence?

I'm taking a day trip to Rome from Orvieto. I know one day won't give Rome justice but we want a "taste" of the big sites. We'll be there on Wednesday July 17th. I know that we want to see The Vatican Museum, St. Peter's, Colloseum, Forum, and The Pantheon. I know that's a lot but I think we can do it! My question for all you experts is , what order would be best? I considered doing St. Peters/Vatican first but then read that Wednesday is the Pope's day to address the people and Vatican sites can be closed. Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:24 PM
newt

Okay, if you are cardiovascularly fit, try the following: start with Vatican museum, as it closes the earliest. Shoot straight for the Sistine Chapel and then Raphael Rooms, then run over to St. Peters, catch your breath and chow on snacks while waiting on line.

From the Taxi stand in front of St. Peter square, taxi over to Foro Romano, go to the Palatine ticket office and get the combo ticket to include Colloseum (avoiding the long line at the latter). Then run thru Palatine Hill and Forum (siesta in Forum, with prepacked picnic), then go next door to Colloseum. I predict it would be around 5-6 PM by this time.

There is a Taxi stand between Forum and Colloseum, taxi over to Pantheon, this opens late. You can even walk over to Trevi Fountain (east) or Novona (west, our preference), each location has gelato and it will almost be time for dinner. If ambitious, you can go east, see Trevi, then head north for the Spanish Steps, Medici gardens (great views of Rome), and have dinner there. There is taxi stand approx. 60 meters from bottom of the steps.

Then taxi to Roma Termini for return to Orvieto.

Don't know about Pope and Wednesday address, but should not affect the museum.

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Andi

Newt - thank you for that speedy response! I'm printing that out and adding it to my trip folder. Great advice. Now I need to get my husband fit so he can keep up with me in the Rome heat! Thanks again, Andi

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Maurice

The pope addresses the crowd in St. Peters on Wed. mornings. During this time, the front half of the round "square" is blocked off unless you have tickets. (See this site or search Google.com for "papal audience tickets" -we got ours through Santa Susanna, the English Roman Roman Catholic parish. If you only have a day, you probably don't want to spend half of it waiting for the pope to show up, and then listening to some priests read 80% of his sermon in 8 languages; as he barely has the energy to show up, but still puts in far too much work! )
There is a note that when the weather or papal health dictates, the pope may not make it or he may be in Castel Gandolfo. I think when we were -Sept. 12 2001 - there he was flown or driven in from there.
This is most relevant because the Cathedral and the roof access are closed until the audience is over and the pope has "left the building", four-wheeling down the horse steps in his Mercedes. We observed this situation, and went straight to the roof entrance ticket booth to the right of the cathedral; we went straight up the dome and it was not crowded, whereas the day before there was a 40-minute wait.
I don't know whether the audience affects the Vatican Museum - it shouldn't, the entrance is way around the North wall of that country.
If so, I would suggest the Vatican Museum in the morning - if this interests you enough to take til noon. (If not, maybe wander over to Castel Sant'Angelo to see an old Papal Fort.)
Then, go around to St. Peter's for a quick view and roof tour before proceeding by taxi to the forum/colloseum/palatine hill/domus aurea(?) area. I don't know what the Pantheon hours are, but it's a quick see. Not far from it is the "hadrian's column" also worth a see... and then 5 minute's walk to Trevi fountain, and another 10 minutes or so to Spanish steps. From there, you can catch a subway to the Termini if you came by train.
Rush, rush, rush. That took us 3 days and more...

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:41 AM
jedi

Newt's plan is a good one. especially hitting the sistine chapel early. It closes at 3 pm, and it takes about 20 minutues to get through the museum to the chapel.

Jun 14th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Apollo

I'm not "bashing" Andi or trying to sound off at all but can I ask the question why?
Newt's suggested itinery left me breathless just from reading it. I wonder what I would take from the day if I were to spend it like that?
Why cram in so much site-seeing... is it so they can be "ticked off" the Must See/Do List? For me that would not be an appropriate way to spend my only day in any location. I'd much rather see one thing, maybe two (the Pantheon and Colloseum would be my picks) and then soak up the atmosphere sitting in Cafes and restaurants watching the world go by. No doubt I would curse my luck and not having enough time in Rome to see more but I would no that I had spent a relaxing day seeing 2 of the most inspiring Ancient Roman legacies and hadn't got fried to a crisp doing so.

I think this approach to tourism in Europe both puzzles and amuses the locals who would not think of acting in a simillar way on their holidays, whether to other European cities and countries or to New York, New Orleans etc.

Slow down, Americans! Before you end up with ulcers, high blood pressure and blisters. The best things in life are the smallest... learn to take delight in the mundane as well.

Anyway... feedback from American tourists (or others similarly afflicted) would be most enlightening!

PS. Andi: hope you and your husband have a great trip and see everything you hope to. Hats off to you!

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Frank

andi: Consider taking a full day bus tour. You will cover all the highlights of Rome and have a tour guide give you some background and handling admissions and logistics. Remember it can be very HOT in July and you may wilt long before you get through your list. Hopping on and off an air conditioned bus and not having to wait on ticket lines, is an expeditious way of getting around the city. Then you can have dinmer on your own and soak up some of the majic of Rome before heading back.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:39 AM
elaine

I have to agree that except for the purpose of ticking things off a tally sheet, your "taste" will give you "indigestion."

I say pick the Vatican Museums/St Peters OR the Colosseum/Forum. One or the other will take half a day and either choice is taxing even for the interested and fit. Then have lunch around Piazza Navona and push on to the Pantheon and then on to the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps if you like.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Andi

Thanks for all these ideas! I know hitting all those Rome sites is a little crazy. But, during our 3 weeks in Europe, we will be soaking up cafe atmosphere, seeing small villages, etc... So, having one crazy day in Rome won't be so bad especially knowing it will be followed by a slow day in Umbria. I guess I do have some of that American "got to see it all" attitude. We're so excited for this trip - it's been many years in the planning I wish I could travel in the off season but being a teacher, I'm stuck with the crowds in the sticky hot summer. That won't stop us from having fun! Thanks again for the advice!

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
xxx

Apollo,
Points well taken, but you have to realize that most Americans don't get 4-6 weeks of vacation each year. You may prefer "sitting and watching the world go by;" many would find that boring. Many would consider a day wasted if all they saw was the Pantheon and the Colosseum. My point is, everyone has their own style of travel.
Andi acknowledged that one day won't do Rome justice, but who knows when and if she'll return? There are no guarantees in life.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Andi

Exactly Apollo. In the back of my mind I do worry that I won't make it back. But at the same time, I LOVE planning trips. This ambitious plan in Rome is just a framework. I'm not so rigid that I won't change the plan once I'm there. If we're exhausted and find that the Vatican enthralled us longer than expected, then sure, we'll skip some other sites. But, I like having a plan. Maybe the plan/list obsession comes from doing lesson plans at school all year. HA! This is my first experience getting feedback from this site. How great getting to talk to people about travel philosophies! By the way, I am one of those kind of people who has a hard time sitting still. Can't help it!

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
newt

andi: although i think that whirlwind itinerary i sketched for you can work, we did visit those sites over 4 days. also i forgot to account for the july heat, so consider packing enough water and refill bottles (free) at wells in the forum. Last thing you want to do is show up at ospedale with heat stroke.

If you make it to Pompei at all, you will see much better ruins and get tour guides for a more informative visit than what you will see at the Forum and Palatine. So if after Vatican Museum and St. Peters, its late or you are more tired than planned, consider heading to Trevi fountain, walk to the Spanish Steps, do some shopping and have dinner. Wish you a great time in Rome.

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Amy

Andi, we did the sites exactly in the order you listed them in your post, adding Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps at the end. We did it all in a day, and even took time out for lunch/coffee at Piazza Navonna between sites. Yes, you will cram things in, but if like us you only have one day there, you make the most of it. It was March when we did it, so presumably less crowded than July, but it is do-able. We took taxis between St. Peter's and Colosseum and then Colosseum to Piazza Navonna. Other than that, we walked. I can't speak to the Papal address issue, but others have. Good luck.

Jun 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Andi

Thanks Amy - nice to hear that it really is do-able! I'll let you know how it went when I return....

Jun 14th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Doug Weller

Either skip the Vatican Museum, or just do the Sistine Chapel. Unless of course you really love art and can't bear to miss it all. How about the Domus Nero and skip the inside of the Colosseum, just walking around the inside. See my trip report:

http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk/4rome.html

Doug