Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

country cost comparisons--is Ireland about the same price as France & Germany or more like the UK?

Search

country cost comparisons--is Ireland about the same price as France & Germany or more like the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:25 AM
jane

Budget traveller familiar with costs in France and Germany. Thinking about Ireland this summer. Is it as pricey as the UK, or more in line with the prices in France and Germany which are also Euro based? Which one of the 3 is cheapest to travel in as far as lodging and food and gas?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Wayne

All things considered, Ireland is lower in cost than the others you named. But unless you are on an absolutely inviolate itinerary, making major decisions on which country to visit based solely on cost can sometimes produce disappointing travel experiences. All travel consists of tradeoffs, such as cost of meals versus cost of hotel, cost of rental car versus cost of trains, and the like. If I were you, I'd think first about the country I'd most like to go to, then I would make tradeoffs to achieve my budget in that country. If Ireland is your choice, you are doubly lucky. If another country is more to your liking, you might like to reconsider and try some tradeoffs.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Kathy

Ireland is definitely not as pricey as the UK when it comes to hotels and restaurants. Can't speak about France or Germany. Agree with above poster about deciding where you really want to go. Ireland is beautiful and we loved it, but it will be a different type of vacation in that you will not be in large cities and will be driving. For the money aspect, though, I think it's a great place to go and not feel like you're constantly being overcharged.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Claudia

Ireland is definitely cheaper than France and the UK. You can find wonderful B&Bs for well under $100. The most expensive restaurants there are cheap in comparison. Be sure to take "the road less traveled" and explore the more un-touristy areas. You'll get tired of seeing the same souveniers everywhere otherwise.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:41 AM
xxx

Another consideration is the cost of getting there. You can usually save a couple hundred by flying to London rather than Ireland, unless you live near NYC. The English and Welsh countryside is every bit as beautiful as Ireland's and you can also find inexpensive B&Bs or hotels in the country. The villages and gardens in England are very beautiful; quaint, cute cottages are a rarity in Ireland.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:10 AM
xxx2

But there are lots of cheap flights from London (sometimes Stansted) to Ireland.