Search

One day in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Rome

Hello

I will soon be spending a few weeks in Naples/Positano. I am taking the fast train one morning to spend a day in Rome and fast train home that night.

I've been to Rome half a dozen times or so but the last time was three years ago. I am merely going to stroll and window shop and eat a nice lunch and a nice dinner and look up a friend and do a wine tasting. I'll probably have time for one museum. I've already been to many of the biggies so unless there is a brand new exhibit I'm unlikely to go back for my one day in town.

I will likely be walking the entire time. I have not visited MAXXI yet. That may be a great choice in part to see the building itself, designed by Zaha Hadid. Although it's pretty far whether walking or by taxi - getting there and back in the traffic probably would eat an hour round trip.

If MAXXI is too far given everything else I'm going to do (mostly in the central tourist area meaning Pantheon /Campo di Fiori etc) any new exhibits or new galleries or goings-on in the central area would be nice to hear about too. How about Monti? I have been there but not a lot of strolling time really.

Thank you for any thoughts!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you been to Domus Aurea?

http://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=51

Museum of Imperial Fora?

http://www.inexhibit.com/case-studie...rajan-markets/

There seem to be new museums opening fairly regularly. I've read about one that opened a few years ago in the 'basement' of the Baths of Caracalla, another one in an old power station in the Ostiense quarter (Museo Centrale Montemartini).

I always have a few older ones on my list that I keep meaning to get to. The Jewish Museum, the Museum of Rome in Trastevere, the artist De Chirico's apartment/museum on Piazza di Spagna (reservation required)...
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 09:43 AM

The MAXXI is very near a stop of the number 2 tram, which starts at just outside the city walls at Piazza del Popolo and travels up the Via Flaminia. This tram has a dedicated track, and can't get caught in traffic. You can get to the Piazza del Popolo by Metro A to the Flaminio stop, or you can take a bus there. Without knowing exactly where you'll be, I can't say which bus.

By the way, Google Maps will plan routes for you by public transportation. Just enter your starting point and destination, and click on the bus icon. It even tells you how to get to the bus stop. As of recently, it has also the routes of Trenitalia.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:08 PM

Any chance of Paris Oct/Nov???????????
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Domus Aurea! It's always been closed when I visit. Good catch!

Great tips - thank you!

traviata - no idea yet!