One day in Nuremberg

Mar 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

One day in Nuremberg

Hi,

I am going to Nuremberg for a trade show and will have one full day and possibly one half day to spend sightseeing. Being such a short amount of time I want to maximise it and at least feel I have seen something other than the inside of an exhibition hall. Any suggestions?

I know there is the famous Christmas market but I have also been told there is something similar on a smaller scale all year round. Is that right?

Thanks
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Nuernberg has a very large and pleasant Altstadt pedestrian zone that encompasses most of the historic sights you would want to see- excluding the parade grounds if that interests you at all. I think you could comfortably fill 1 - 1 1/2 days just strolling around and visiting the historic sights in the Altstadt.

I don't know anything about the year round Christmas market you seem to have heard about.
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM

This won't appeal to everyone, I know, but we spent a long, enjoyable afternoon at the parade grounds and museum and were just awed by the history leading up to and including the WWII era. Since that was all we saw at the time, we're returning this year and will see the rest of Nuremberg/Nurnberg/Nuernberg -- and I hope I learn to spell it correctly.
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM

I agree with Aramis that the Altstadt pedestrian zone is worth a stroll. You should go up to the castle (a real one) which offers a great view.

The Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg is also worth a visit http://www.gnm.de/index_en.html

It's also quite easy to get from Nuremberg to Bamberg by train.
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM
yk

I would just wander around the Altstadt, up the castle, and (if you're interested in art) visit Albrect Durer's house. It's a lovely town.
Mar 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

I best liked 3 churches in Nürnberg: St. Sebalduskirche, Frauenkirche & St. Lorenzkirche. They were all built in the 13-14 centuries. Visits do not take long and they transport me back in time. They are located in the pedestrian zone of the Altstadt.

My other primary stop is a Wurst stand with the thin Nürnberger Bratwurst.

Regards, Gary
Mar 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks everyone. I was a bit ho hum about going but now I'm really looking forward to it. No doubt I'll want more time there but at least one full day is something. Also been told the gingerbread is a must.
Mar 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Jahvold! The Leb-"freakin"-kuchen (we renamed it and the handle sticks to this day - in it's uncensored form) is a must, as are the Nuernburger wurstl.