one day in milan

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:33 PM
chris

one day in milan

I have one afternoon and evening in Milan before I fly out the next morning. DOes anyone have any must do's for someone with very limited time?

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Leslie

The Duomo, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuale, La Scala (incl. the little museum there) and Da Vinci's painting of the Last Summer (need a reservation for this)...

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Leslie

Ooops...that's The Last Supper.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Howard

Leslie's recommendations are right on the mark, with one minor correction--La Scala Opera House is currently being restored. However, I believe the museum is still open. Make sure you go to the top of the Duomo.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:47 PM
WC Fields

I spent a week in Milan one day.

Mar 29th, 2002, 03:11 PM
cmt

If when you get to Milan you decide you can't wait to get out of it, an alternative plan would be to go to Bergamo for several hours. it's a beautiful hilltown an hour away by train. The part to visit is the cittâ alta, the part high on a hill, which is easily accessible by funicular from the lower part (la città bassa).

Mar 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Wendy

The Duomo is a spectacular church! You can go up to the roof and walk around. amazing views of the spires and the city!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
lisa

does anyone know when la scala will be open again?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
garland

A day in Milan really is just about right. See the Cathedral in the morning, and maybe a quick look at the museum in the afternoon, and then the Last Supper making sure you get a reservation. Enjoy.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:32 AM
Ruthie

It would be a shame to waste your time in Bergamo when you only have one day to see the magnificient Cathedral that looks like marble lace, the Last Supper, the Galleria. We had one day there last year and took a day tour that includes the Last Supper so we didn't have to get our own reservations. The tour showed many interesting fact about the cathedral, then you can climb to the top.
The tours include the Castello Sforzesco which is very interesting and right in the city center.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Julie

Can't recommend the rooftop of the Duomo enough - it's spectactular! I also found the following restaurant on our last trip to Milan that is located very close to the center.

Hostaria Borromei
Via Borromei, 4
20123 Milano, Italy
02/86.45.37.60 ph
(closed Saturday and Sunday?)

We stayed at the Hotel Gritti which was only a 1 minute's walk to the Duomo - the restaurant is about a 5 min. walk in the other direction. Enjoy!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:12 PM
lisa

I read that La Scala is closed until 2004 and their opera productions are performed currently in a renovated Pirelli factory.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:39 PM
jane

Shop. Milan is great for shopping. The clothes and shoes are half the price that they are in the States.