One day in Florence Help

Search

One day in Florence Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Florence Help

Arriving from port about 10:30 Am, departing 6PM. Should we book Hop On and Off Bus and advance tickets for Uffizi? Other higlights for that day?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM

The bus will be a waste of time. Just about everything you'll be interested in are a short walk from one another in the pedestrian-only center.

Yes, book the Uffizi and the Accademia (David) if you hope to see them. The Uffizi might use up a lot of your short time, so I'd only visit it if Renaissance art is a priority to you.

If it were me and I only had 7.5 hours, I'd get a taxi to Piazzale Michelangelo on arrival for a scenic overlook of Florence and then walk down the hill back to the center, crossing the river at the Ponte Vecchio. I stroll past the Uffizi and Palazzo Vecchio, visit the interior of the Baptistery, stroll past the duomo, and visit the Academia with my reserved-ahead ticket. Somewhere in there I'd have a nice lunch. if this didn't fill my time I'd add in a visit to one of these churches: Santa Maria Novella, San Lorenzo, or Santa Croce.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Great information,how much time for the Academia? Any restaurant to suggest for lunch?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM

ellenem has given you a lovely itinerary for your day. Go to Accademia later in the day (around 5pm) when the tour groups have gone for the day. It is open until about 7pm from memory and really you only need about 1 hour max to see David. We got there at 5pm and only had to wait about 10 mins to get in.

You MUST have a gelato, but avoid the tourist traps on the Ponte Vecchio where you will pay about 9euros each.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM

I knowyou don't have 24 hours but read this, it gives you a schedule on the most important places and it will help you decide on where to head to first...
http://bit.ly/2v4EvP
oriana
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:21 AM

book marking
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM

There is another thread going on the same topic
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ld-you-see.cfm

I would time at(in) the duomo rather than just walking by as suggested by some of the other posters. Climbing the dome is an amazing experience but you probably don't have time to do this.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM

I meant to say "I would spend more time" at the duomo than others suggested.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Lunch in Italy tends to be a longish affair, and with so little time to get oriented, it's really hard to suggest a destination to you. Just find a place along the way, and while food in Florence is often quite acceptable in the tourist zones, don't judge Italian cuisine by it. Just bear in mind that lunch is only served between 12:30 and 2pm. Outside those hours, you will have to make do with a sandwich or microwaved pasta.

I disagree with the advice to walk down from the Piazzele Michaelangelo. If you decide to go up there first off, I would take another cab back down, and skip crossing the Ponte Vecchio, which is just jammed with tourists. I would also not make the Uffizi a priority unless you've a very keen interest in Italian painting or a life long wish to see Botticelli's Venus.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Also, I meant to add that you can't leave your visit to the Accademia until 5pm if your bus back to the ship is leaving at 6pm.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Even if the Ponte Vecchio is jammed with tourists, it takes no longer than five minutes to cross--much less actually--and it IS one of the sights most tourists want to see.

After reading innumerable trip reports from people who spent a brief time in Florence and hated the crowds, I brought friends to Florence for one day and did almost precisely what we described. Their general impression of Florence was completely different because they had this view of Florence set among green hills, this walk to the center through much quieter streets, and then crossing the river of the famous, crowded bridge. That said, taking a taxi back to the center will save you about 20 minutes strolling.

I find the interior of the duomo not as interesting as the other churches I've mentioned and have read enough trip reports here which mention standing in line to get in and then being disappointed by the interior. That's why I don't think it's necessary in this short schedule. The mosaics inside the Baptistery are much more rewarding.

The OP will have to prioritize based on interest level and timing.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM

There is certainly no shortage of beautiful churches with important artwork in Florence. As noted you will have to set priorities based on what interests you most and resign yourself to missing many sights.

San Miniato al Monte is another beautiful church slightly above (uphill from) the Piazzale Michelangelo overlooking the city. You could take the taxi there then continue downhill and across the Ponte Vecchio to the city center as suggested

One of my favorite places in Florence, not mentioned so far, is the Museo di San Marco with its amazing frescoes by Fra Angelico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marco,_Florence
It is very close to the Accademia
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi LG,

See if this helps:

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Start at Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
You can purchase tickets online at http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/uffizi/

Have a nice visit.