One Day in Burgundy - What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we have an extra day where we can squeeze in a visit to the Burgundy region... Any suggestions for a one day visit? Travel time from Paris? I will be travelling with husband and our 3 children ---- 15, 9 and 5. I am considering Fontenay Abbey and/or Vezelay. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I would skip the Abbey.There is nothing else around but the abbey.The kids will be bored.
I have not been to vezalay but I have heard it is well worth the visit.Auxerre is very intersting town with historic sites,shops and side walk cafes.Check out this website as there is a great download on the burgundy wine route
The Burgundy Wine Road
The Burgundy Wine Road GB02 w w w . b o u r g o g n e - t o u r i s m e . c o m
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM

I would strongly suggest to visit Beaune which is the capital of the wine region.

Beaune is easy to reach from Paris (2:03 by TGV from Paris). By car, travelling time is 3 hours.

Beaune is a mid-sized, historical, charming town with lots of wineries.

In Beaune, visit the Hôtel-Dieu, one of Europe's oldest hospitals which has been converted into a museum. A most impressive building.

www.hospices-de-beaune.com

Also, visit at least one wine cellar. I personally recommend the Marché aux Vins which is located within a former abbey dating from 1249, right in the center of town. You pay an entrance fee, you get a souvenir tastevin, descend into ancient candle-lit cellars, and you work up your way with deliberately self-tasting of about two dozens of different wines. Your self-guided tour ends in the remnants of a former gothic cathedral - very atmospheric!

www.marcheauxvins.com

If you have a car, make a trip through the vineyards, starting from Beaune into northern direction.

Do names like Aloxe-Corton, Nuits-St.-Georges, Vosne-Romanée, Clos-Vougeout, Gevrey-Chambertin ring a bell?

I especially recommend to visit Clos-Vougeot which is the very birthplan of Burgundy wines:

http://www.tastevin-bourgogne.com/Chateau/Chateau/

In fact, start your tour in Dijon, drive soutwards through the vineyards and end in Beaune - because after your visit to Marché aux Vins you won't be able to drive!! I would take the TGV to Dijon (1:37), rent a car there, then drive through the vineyards to Beaune, with a stop in Clos de Vougeot (and in some of the villages, visiting wineries there), return your car in Beaune, visit Hotel-Dieu and a winery there (e.g. Marchè aux Vins), then take the TGV back to Paris. You will have a wonderful day with the best of Burgundy.

P.S. Other Fodorites may recommend to visit Dijon. Dijon IS a fine city, with a gorgeous cathedral. The Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy is also worth a visit. But since you are visiting Paris, Dijon will be not THAT different. And you want to see Burgundy. My tip: Do not spend too much time in Dijon (maybe an hour or so to get an impression of cathedral, palace and city) but then proceed southwards to catch the spirit of the wine region.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_...s_de_Bourgogne
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM

I forgot to add:

Our kids LOVED especially the Hotel-Dieu in Beaune and the Marché aux Vins in Beaune. While wine-tastings are usually boring for kids, this self-guided tour was most exciting for them.

Driving through the vineyards will also give them the opportunity for running around and exploring. E.g. walk through the vineyards, show them how the grapes grow, pick up two stones, knock them together and let them scent the smoky flintstone aroma which gives the wine its distinct taste...

Maybe the kids are another reason not to spend too much time in Dijon.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will have to investigate them a little further. Not too worried about our kids being bored at the wineries. We live 20 minutes from Napa Valley so, they are quite used to that environment. They may like comparing that region to our Napa/Sonoma Valleys. Thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Vezelay is a medieval wonder - once nearly abandonded this is the reason perhaps that its cobbled uphill streets are so intact.

Do some research on the Basilica that once housed one of medieval Catholicism's most famous relics - the bones of Mary Magdalen and is one of Europe's most famous Romaesque churches. Vezelay became a major pilgrimage stop and the town thrived

Once the bones were declared fakes in the Middle Ages the pilgrim torrent dried to a trickle and the town slumbered along as a backwater.

So today you have the lovely hill top church lording over the medieval stone houses and lanes and the quintessential pastoral Burgundy countryside

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
a1139a

Vezelay is hands down one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I was there in April when the HUGE centuries-old wisteria vines were in full bloom...gorgeous. Also, you could see the fields of bright yellow rape blooming. (Actually, you can see a photo of the yellow fields here:
www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi ab,

With only a day and 3 kids, I suggest Beaune for the Hotel-Dieu and the Marché aux Vins.

It's a pretty town with some good restos, as well.

Or Auxerre.

Train schedules and prices are at www.voyages-sncf.com.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ira

PS,

Have you considered the train to Nancy or Strasbourg?

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM

>My tip: Do not spend too much time in Dijon (maybe an hour or so to get an impression of cathedral, palace and city)<
If you follow t1959's advice and want to make the most of Dijon in a hour or so, go to the tourist office and ask for the owl's trail brochure (2,50&euro. Then follow the steps that lead you to the main sites of Dijon old town and you'll read an explanation for each one.
http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijo...s_chouette.htm
Don't forget to touch the lucky owl on Notre Dame church wall (with the left hand!)and make a wish
Have fun!
coco